Fast Running Blog
May 23, 2024, 04:17:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runner's High Experiences  (Read 4301 times)
Tom
Posting Member

« on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:36 am »

I thought it might be interesting and motivational to hear about any particularly memorable "runners high" moments anyone has experienced over their running careers.

Part of my motivation for doing this is to heed my buddy and fellow blogger PaulT's (pthomas.fastrunningblog.com) advice. I've been in a bit of a running slump lately and Paul's been telling me I need to do something to start "feeling the love" again and stay true to the spirit of my blog tag line of "Every Run is a GREAT Run!".

Personally I've had so many of these moments over the last 17 years I could fill volumes. One of the more recent ones that stands out in my mind occurred during the Painter's Half Marathon back in January. So I thought I'd start things off by posting a few of my comments I made in my blog entry for that race (http://tom.fastrunningblog.com/blog-01-19-2008.html).

"I was in a nearly euphoric state the whole race and never really got tired. I finally decided to race the last 3 miles like a 5K and ended up with close to my best 5K time ever but even then I wasn't really breathing too heavily, I just couldn't get my legs to go any faster than about 6:10 pace."

"I can't really remember a whole lot of details of every mile for this race. I just kind of felt "in the zone" the whole time and I remember passing about 20 guys over the course of the race."

"The non-stop running high thing was pretty weird, I don't know if I've ever quite had it like that before for an entire race. Kind of like the running was on auto-pilot, someone else flying the plane, while I just happened to be along for the euphoric ride. Next time it happens hopefully I'll be smart enough to take full advantage and push the pace earlier in the race."

I look forward to hearing what some of the rest of you have experienced.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:49 am »

I had an awesome experience just a couple days ago at the Wasatch Back. It was on my second leg, leg 15 of the race. It was a steady uphill the whole way, but I just shot up the hill. As I was running, I kept thinking to myself, "you're gonna get tired," but I never did. I ended up passing like 15-16 people in the middle of the night. I was hauling, but when I finished I was hauling, but I didn't feel tired after I was done. It was awesome.
Christina Robinson
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:30:56 pm »

I do get the runner's high from time to time.  When I was in Cedar City for the Summer Games, it was like a big cloud of euphoria hit me while I ran both the 10k and 5k.  I love racing there because it is a very fast course and perfect temperatures.  I felt great after the 10k--it was a pr and my 5k splits were faster than my fastest 5k. I was surprised I wasn't too sore for the 5k the next day.

Some of the other runners who were with me felt euphoric as well.  They were soooo happy with their fast times!  Even Coach Bill was experiencing it.  After the 10k, he took us shopping at the expo, which is unusual for him since tends to stay away from expos.  His wife called after the race to see how we did, and she told us later, "You all sounded like a bunch of drunks!  You were laughing at everything I said, even if it wasn't funny!" 

It was such a surreal experience....it almost felt like it wasn't reality.  When I do get that runner's high, I realize that all of the early mornings and hard workouts throughout the year are definitely worth it!  It's a feeling that keeps me going.
WhoIsRunnerGirl
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:53:58 am »

I get such Runner's Highs when I'm running in a city park with the skyscrapers and trees come together- especially early in the morning. The sunrise and low light make everything look so incredible. It's like running in heaven- if it were made out of concrete. This morning I did my first 10 in almost a year and it felt so great, didn't get tired once and I ran a little faster tha my usual 5 mi pace.
jeff
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:42:59 pm »

Funny, I do not seem to have the runners "high" much anymore.  Early in my reintroduction to running it happened all the time.  Now I seem to need the combination of longer distances (12+ miles), faster pace ( tempo in the middle of long run) and just the right music to get much.  Sometimes at the end of a hard interval session I do get quite a rush.  I wonder if the "high" is more common in the novice runner working hard since their body is not used to it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:14:32 pm »

Try trail running- I think it makes each run more enjoyable!  Though I do agree not as many runs are exciting once you have done so many.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33:47 pm »

I have to agree with a few of the other comments that, over time, the 'high' isn't achieved as easily/as much. Personally, I don't like the term 'runner's high'. Because it does imply a state of euphoria. I think that 'in the zone' is a better description. For me, this happens when I'm relaxed. If my body is relaxed when I run I'm able to separate the stress that your body undergoes when putting forth exceptional effort from my brain's conciousness of that pain. But this doesn't really get to the heart of your issue, Tom. You're talking about being in a slump. Mix it up. Maybe you folks out there are spoiled, I don't know. But when I read your blogs and it says things like 'did the such and such canyon run' or 'did the such and such trail' I'm seriously jealous. Try bagging out your miles all on city streets where you have to diligently keep your eyes on oncoming traffic, or someone rolling a stop sign to a cross street you're about to go through. When I get in a slump I head out to Castlewood Park. Great scenery, but killer uphill trail running. It takes me about 45 minutes to make the drive, but the change of scenery really refreshes me. And, perhaps, if I ran out there all the time, a run down some busy streets might be a bit of an adrenaline boost to pull me out of my slump. Hang in there my man.
jeff
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:12:49 am »

I agree.  Part of my problem is the treadmill provides an easy lower impact run.  I live in rural Alaska and have some of the best spots to run assuming you like the great outdoors.   Bears, whales, sea lions and a wide range of other animals can be seen on any days run.  Scenery out of a picture book as well.  The joy of running in such beauty is awsome.  But the runners "high" I think is being refered to is due to strong effort not the joy of an easy pace run in a great location.  I always enjoy the sights I do not often get the "high", although I really can't say I miss it a whole lot.  I like to run.  That is good enough.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:22 am »

Thanks everyone for your comments and perspective on the whole runner's "high" thing. Thinking about what Jeff L and jeff (from Alaska) have said it occurred to me that there are really 2 kinds of experiences I'm thinking about when I think of having experienced the runner's "high". 

Primarily I'm thinking about the "in the zone" or somewhat euphoric condition that typically happens in the middle of a race or long/hard tempo run. Where it feels like everything is just clicking perfectly and the running seems effortless for a period of time.

But then there is the less euphoric but I think equally satisfying feeling that comes during slow, easy runs, typically for me in the hills or somewhere scenic, where you just have a feeling and peace and serenity and a feeling of being "at one with the universe" or whatever. I remember last December running with Kim and we got caught in a snowstorm with huge flakes and we started staring up into the falling snow (http://tom.fastrunningblog.com/blog--Had-planned-to-go-run-this-morning-wit/12-08-2007.html). We both got caught up in this overwhelming feeling that is just really hard to describe. Going back and reading my entry it almost sounds corny, but at the time it was just a really indescribable, spiritual type of experience.

So I guess then you've got the hard effort, euphoric type runner's high that is in some ways similar to a drug-induced "high", but then you've also got the peaceful, serene type experience that is more of a spiritual thing. Of course I think they're both awesome feelings, I agree with you jeff that the longer you've run it seems these "highs" become less frequent. But also to paraphrase what you were saying.....we all just like to run, and that is good enough reward in and of itself. Every run really IS a great run, with or without the high.

And thanks Jeff L for reminding me how lucky we are out here to have beautiful mountains, canyons and trails to run on within minutes from our homes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: