Fast Running Blog
July 01, 2024, 01:15:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Treadmill vs. Outside (Garmin) - Which pace is most accurate?  (Read 5741 times)
Kevin Montgomery
Lurker

« on: January 22, 2008, 01:27:09 pm »

I have been mostly running outside using my Garmin 305.  Whereas I am NOT focusing on speed at this time... the watch tells you everything so I obviously pay attention what it tells me about speed at the end of my runs when I download the data into my pc.  Long story short on some of my fastest splits (not intentionally trying) I have gotten my speed to around a 9 min. mile... absolute FASTEST!!!

Now when I run on the Treadmill in the gym... I have no problem running at an 8 min. mile pace (feels like I am almost standing still) and when warmed up I have even ran a few miles at (what the treadmill tells me is) a 7 min. mile pace ... with a little effort but not seriously pushing. 

Just wanted to get some solid feedback.  I am guessing that the two are significantly different, as there are no hills on the treadmill, the running surface is better and the pace is set.  Although this appears to be a pretty substantial difference! Is there a standard treadmill factor/coefficient that needs to be considered to translate how the run would actually be outside?
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:44:19 pm »

You should also factor in the fact that the ground is moving with you on a treadmill. To me that's a huge reason why a treadmill would feel faster/easier at the same speed as outside. It's yet another reason I hate treadmills. As for accuracy, I would go with your watch.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

I agree with Sean that the biggest difference is the pushoff.  With the treadmill you simply raise your leg, while outdoors you actually have to actually push and move your body forward.  Also, no wind resistance (not a huge deal).
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »

A treadmill is usually a few seconds a minute faster than real running. If you can run a couple minutes faster ouside either your treadmill is really bad or your outside effort could probably be increased.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:15 pm »

It's actually easier for me to run say 6:30 min/mile pace on training runs outside than it is to do it on the treadmill. The treadmill seems to make me work a lot harder for the reward. Likewise if I run three miles on the treadmill it feels like the effort of a 5 mile run outside. But maybe I'm just crazy.
adam

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:28 pm »

I have a harder time on the treadmill than outside. I find it feels harder to get through the first two or three miles than if I were running outside.
Kevin Montgomery
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:13:12 am »

Great feedback.... wow it appears that there are indeed a lot of factors.  Isn't running a multivariable sport!!  Starting to remind me a lot like golf!

I would bet there is some type of running efficiency rating and when you exceed a certain efficiency % running on a treadmill is not beneficial vs. if you have a lower running efficiency (i.e. like myself) it helps.  That may help to explain why some people find it harder to run on a treadmill and others do not.

Note: I am randomly creating a definition for efficiency by factors such as: Length of stride (short choppy vs. long graceful), how hard you strike the ground (pound vs. glide), overall benefit from total body movement (moving arms, lifting knees) etc.

So I would imagine the best runners maximize body movement to get the most out of each stride while utilizing the least amount of energy.  As opposed to new runners who are still training muscles to sync and can easily get off pace and out of sync.

Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:06 am »

I would not underestimate the effect of the wind. 7-minute pace is 8.5 mph. On an absolutely calm day, you are generating a headwind of 8.5 mph which is nothing to ignore. Add in any actual wind and you greatly increase resistance that doesn't exist on a treadmill.

That said, I find it easier to run outside which probably has as much to do with my hatred for treadmills as it does the great feeling of fresh air.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:43:05 am »

My recent treadmill runs have been with an industrial fan blowing on me from a few feet away, which creates significantly more wind than just running outdoors.  Running without a fan does eliminate the wind, but then you sweat so much. 

I agree that running outside seems so much easier just because I hate treadmills, as well (at least when the weather is above freezing).
jtshad

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 01:10:45 pm »

I also agree that outside running seems easier to me as well, but can run comparable paces on either one.  However, I think the reason outside feels better is that I use much better form outside (leaning forward, head tilt, arm movement) as I tend to find myself leaning back and "braking" too much on the TM.  TM does NOT promote good form in my opinion. 

You can approximate the effects of outside running by ensuring the incline on the TM is set at a minimum of 1.5% to 2%.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:05 pm »

I agree with Superfly and Jtshad that running on a treadmill seems a lot harder than if you were to run the same pace outside.  I don't have a fan on my treadmill, and I get very hot which will fatigue your muscles faster.  The effort like Superfly said that a 3 mile run feels like a 5 mile ran outside is very much true for me too.  My treadmill is already at a 1% grade and it can't be lowered, but it can go up to a 15% grade, but the speed only goes to 11mph  (5:30 maximum pace). 

I believe also your stride can be different if your treadmill deck isn't very long.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: