Fast Running Blog
September 29, 2024, 05:23:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Caloric intake before/during long runs  (Read 8890 times)
Charles
Lurker

« on: December 18, 2010, 11:28:09 am »

As a novice runner who has started to run more consistently (my recent recovery from a non-running injury notwithstanding), I wonder if I should eat anything before or during a long run. I usually go on an empty stomach early in the morning. Occasionally, I will drink a cup of milk with protein powder. If I am supposed to train my body to burn fat during my 3 hour runs, does it make sense to eat anything around the 2 hour mark when I often start to feel sluggish? Or should one limit the gels and goos and slimes to race day when performance, and not training, is the goal?

Thanks for your input!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:02:40 pm »

Personally, I'll do morning runs of 60-90 min without eating anything.  Longer than that, I definitely recommend some calories before and maybe during.  Personally, I don't think it benefits your body and training to slog through bonk-runs as much as being able to run fast for the same runs because you got some calories in you (unless you want to run bonked in your marathon for some reason).

I think bonking in marathons can completely be avoided if you have enough miles as a base, don't go out too fast, and take in enough fluid/calories during the race.

One final thought- don't forget the mantra to train how you race.  In other words, if you never do gu's during training, do you know how your body will react during the actual race when you start eating them?  You should practice race strategy for your gels at least some long runs.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »

For me a solid pig out session the night before the morning long run seems to help more than anything on the actual day!
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:49:50 pm »

I like to eat a slice of bread or something just to have something on my stomach, but I don't typically eat on a long run unless I'm out on the trails running all over the mountains with Jon and Cody.  I do usually take something with me just in case I start bonking though.  Usually a granola bar, as they are a lot cheaper than gels.  I think there is something to be said for being able to last through a long run without any additional calories, but you would only want to do as much as you can do at a good pace without bonking.  That approach seems to work for me.  It might not work with others.  But either way you should definitely make sure you are used to whatever you are going to do to fuel during the race, so definitely do as many long runs with fuel as you need to leading up to the race, and experiment around to make sure you're not going to get any nasty surprises at mile 18 of a marathon.  This should go without saying, as on a long run you should definitely be hydrating anyway, but make sure you are used to drinking on the run as well.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:34:21 am »

Hi Charles, during the summer I get up early to run and won't eat anything beforehand.  During the winter, when I will generally wait until the sun comes up and it is a little warmer, I eat a powerbar about an hour before I run.  Powerbars are a super easily digested form of complex carbs and I don't have any ill effects (but you should probably drink about 8 ounces of water with them). 

Think of these long runs as a way to practice things you might want to do just before a race and when you find what works best for you it will become your pre-race ritual.
Charles
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:33:51 am »

Thanks, all. Because I am kind of new at this, I don't know if what I feel after 2+ hours is due to lack of calories or simply fatigue because my body hasn't run for that length of time before. Based on what I have just read and done so far, sounds like a good strategy might be to go out empty in the morning and after getting at least to my fatigue point, have something that I might consume during a marathon race, see what happens and then adjust according to results. I guess I'd burn through a 100 calorie gel in a mile or so and go back to burning fat...
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:34 pm »

I can't go completely empty if I am awake for a couple hours before I start ... I don't know exactly how you feel but I have pretty serious blood sugar problems (I have passed out at the end of a few races and long runs from lack of food -- it was a serious problem when I was a kid and we would go to Noon mass, since we weren't able to eat before church, they had to allow me some bread or something after I passed out during mass once -- I got a lot of attention that day).  If you feel nauseous, flushed, and are a little hypostatic, I would eat more before you run and during your run.  If you just feel "wiped out" it is normal ;-); however, I drink a recovery drink right after my hard runs (either sugar-free slim-fast or a more expensive type -- I love FRS products ... www.frs.com -- Nan and Aaron Kennard introduced me to it).

Good luck Charles!!
Charles
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:10:14 am »

Thanks Bonnie. You are not the first to tell about passing out during mass due to lack of food. And I can imagine in years past that some might have thought it was because children such as you were particularly touched by the Spirit!

I am trying a few things for hydration, recovery and such: just plain old water, Emergen-C (almost no calories and cheap! I bought a box of 90 for 21 cents each at Costco), Endurox R-4 for post recovery, and sometimes my son's fruit leathers or granola bars. What is it you like about FRS so much?
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »

Nice comment on the Mass and Spirit ... it was likely a little of both ;-).

I think I like the FRS because it absorbs SO easily ... Costco's slim-fast has all the recommended stuff (ratio of protein to carbs, etc.) but it seemed to take longer to work on those days when I was particularly depleted -- but this could be all in my head.  I have read a lot about what type of nutrients to take to "recover" and the older I am the more important it seems to me (since I am literally falling apart at the seams no matter how well I try to take care of myself ;-) ) and FRS seems to fulfill all the recommended requirements.

Seriously though, to me the most important aspects are to consistently: 1) sleep well, 2) eat well, and 3) train smarter, not harder.  All the other stuff is gravy.

I love emergen-c a lot!!  The only think it doesn't have (that I need) is iron ;-).
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:21:19 am »

For long runs, I think you should definitely eat something beforehand.  Most of my long runs are done on a Saturday morning (first thing).  If I'm out the door by 6 or 7, and I don't eat anything, then I'd be without any food for (approximately) 12 hours.  Your body is like a car...you wouldn't drive your car without any fuel.  I don't eat alot -- normally a Balance Bar and a drinkable yogurt.  But, it does give me that fuel I need.  I think it is important to have some sort of intake during the run as well.  My longer runs are more enjoyable if I have a gel packet or two.  They seem to help keep my body feeling decent, and help me mentally.  So, why not?   I wouldn't worry about burning calories (vs. burning fat).  You'll be burning plenty during, and after your run.  Eat smart.  Fuel the body appropriately.
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »

Sound advice has already been given and I do not usually eat before a run unless its more than 10 miles, but I want to double up something Bonnie mentioned about 'safe foods'. Many people have a list (mine is quite long) of unsafe foods to eat before a run (and during if gels bother you). If and when you start eating various things before a run, try and keep it simple and always note if something upsets you even a bit, and take note of what Jon said about experimenting so you do not get any nasty surprises as that can ruin a nice long run. Oatmeal works well for me as do certain power bars (as Bon mentioned, but they can get pricey).
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:33:58 am »

I learned the hard way about not eating prior to a long run.  On my first 10 mile run, I finished and then almost passed out from dehydration.  I, too was worried about stomach issues.  I don't eat too much, a half of a Balance bar, which is about 100 calories prior to any run, especially a long run (except my 20 milers and marathons, where I eat the whole bar or as much as I can tolerate).  When I know that I am going to run over 10 miles, I also bring Clif Bloks with me.  They give me the energy that I need without causing any stomach upset.  Best of luck to you!
Charles
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:52:03 pm »

Thanks again for you opinions and experience!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: