Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 12:21:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forefoot runner...lost in a world focused on heel striking...HELP!  (Read 2890 times)
Roger Barrette
Lurker

« on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:24 am »

For the past two years I've been in search of a shoe that doesn't give me problems (Or at least less...).  Previously, I ran in ASICS gel foundations, which is a heavy, clunky shoe (IMO), but was always very comfortable for easy runs.  As I started getting into racing and increased mileage, I found that I felt that I fatigued quicker than days of yore (high school) when I ran exclusively in Nike Waffles (Not exactly a Eureka moment, as I wasn't really much of a long distance runner back then) .  To look at me standing still (or walking) I'm extremely flat footed, an apparent obvious candidate for a stability shoe... except that I'm an obligate forefoot runner.  I feel like I weigh 50lbs more when I try to run on my heels... very unnatural feeling to me.  After 600 miles the heels of my shoes look brand new, while the forefoot looks like a racing slick.  I went to a well recommended running specialty shop where they fitted me to Nike Structure Triax.  They were definately lighter, and I had quite a few fast runs... initially.  However, I started to notice pain in my heels when I'd get up in the morning after a long run. initially on the left, then both.  After straining my achilles on a 1/2M with them, I gave up on them.  Since then I've tried Asics Gel Bandito's (okay...didn't log enough road miles before sending them into work for treadmill use), Newton S Racers (Great for short distances, sort of unstable on some surfaces), and recently the Asics DS trainer (Favorite so far).  I've logged some fast times in the Newton shoes, but on occasion have had problems with metatarsal pain after any race >=5m with them.  I've relegated them to 5K racing due to that issue.  I'm currently using the DS as my training/long race shoe, but have been frustrated by the options that seem available.  I've noticed that I still have the  morning heel pain, although it has been greatly reduced since switching to the DS.  I've recently added Sole footbeds to the shoes... but the jury is out on these ...still need to put some more mile on them.  Has anyone else had similiar issues, and if so, what shoes seem to have helped out? 
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »

I'm a bit of a heavier runner (175-80) and also a forefoot striker (mid to forefoot).  My feet are a bit wide and I have found Saucony to be a good brand for me (Progrid Rides + Tangent 3 for racing).  I've tried a couple different brands of Asics which have been tough on my achilles/heal as well.  The heavier shoes (anything above 11 ounces) have all given my feet grief...the lighter shoes seem more natural- grew up in FL playing outside quite a bit barefoot and replacing sports shoes only once a year. 
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:07:05 pm »

As a heal striker I was fitted into Asics 2100 series.  After changing my foot strike I thought I should change shoes.  The shoe store guy told me that I still need a stability shoe regardless how I strike and further proved it by video.  I overpronate with with one foot while the other is normal.  You can find 2100 series shoes cheap, they are very popular.  I think the latest version is 2140, you should be able to find 2130's for 60 to 70 bucks.  I'm a 155 pound runner and have no serious foot pain other than the usual aches.

If you're flat footed (overpronate) the 2100 shoe might work well for you. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:27:20 pm by Michael Laputka » Logged
Tony
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:51:56 am »

You might want to consider adjusting your stride? I used to go with a long stride. But now I go with a very short one. The long stride wasn't really causing problems with my knees until I got some expensive running shoes. Asics Nimbus 10 and then Nike Pegasus. (I'm guessing cause they are more flexible and my legs seem to like a stiff, rigid shoe) I shortened the stride and it wasn't as bad, but still not good enough. I'm now running in cheap $30 (on sale) Nike Competes from Kohls. I kept the short stride though and I'm able to run much faster for much longer with it. It centers my weight evenly on my foot and straightens my body out during runs. My breathing is more efficient as well. Helps everything really.
Roger Barrette
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:51:21 am »

Thanks for the comments.  I've never really run in the Saucony, and only tried on a pair once.  I seem to recall they seemed a bit wide for me, although I don't remember which model shoe it was.  I think I will give a look at the Asics 2100 series though.  I figure it is an asics shoe, and I've had the least injuries with them over others.  Failing that, I will probably consider another maker such as the Saucony, especially if the progrid ride seems to be good for forefoot striders.  As far as adjusting my stride,.. when it comes to races > 5mi I tend to change it up throughout the race.  On uphills I have a very deliberate high cadence, short stride (Not uncommon probably, but a little more exagerated than most), while I tend to have a moderately long stride on flats and down hills.  On occasions (during long runs) I've tried to switch to the short stride for portions to rest muscles fatigued during long strides, and I find that I cannot hold it very long.  I am very long legged (36" inseam @ 5'10"), so I think I look like a jack hammer when running short strided. On a side note, I did go to a physical therapist on Friday, and he indicated that I'm starting to show symptoms of plantar fasciitis (not overly suprised).  He took some measurements, and made some modifications to my footbed insoles.  I did a 15m run yesterday, and woke up w/ minimal pain this morning, which is quite an improvement.  I'm hoping with the combination of the modified insoles, and a little better shoe, I can eliminate this issue (or at least keep it in check for as long as possible)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: