Fast Running Blog
June 29, 2024, 09:17:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bernard Lagat's Son  (Read 3264 times)
Steve P
Posting Member

« on: August 13, 2009, 12:32:17 pm »

Many of you may have seen this already, but I thought it was fun, so I'm sharing it. Let's hope Lagat takes his son's advice to heart at the World Championships this week and next...

When Bernard Lagat stepped to the start line for a much-anticipated race against Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele over 3000 meters in Paris on July 18, there were undoubtedly more than a few people in the Stade de France pulling for the affable American.
Lagat's most devoted fans, his wife Gladys and 3-year-old son Miika, were back in Germany watching the race on television.

As Bekele began to pull away, turning that anticipated duel into a personal time trial (watch video), Miika did not like what he was seeing out of his dad.

"I guess somewhere in the race my wife said, ‘Oh, it looks like daddy will not win today,' and Miika freaked out," Lagat said in a recent interview. "He yelled at the TV, yelled at Bekele, and yelled at me. Then when he saw that Bekele won and I did not, Gladys said Miika cried, ‘No! Only daddy is number one!' When Gladys told him that I was number two that day, he cried and cried.

"After a couple minutes, the sadness disappeared and anger set in. He demanded that Gladys call me, and ask why I did not win. When I spoke to him on the phone, it took 20 minutes for me to explain it to him. I almost teared up explaining to him why I lost. Then he finally said, ‘Daddy, next time you are number one! Only you! OK? Is that a deal?"

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=105551&SPID=13055&&DB_OEM_ID=23000&ATCLID=204773047
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:11:45 pm »

I feel for him. I remember the explaining I had to do to Benjamin as to why I did not beat Jon Ndambuki.  One time I was racing an easier target, but it was still tough. The target was Mike Kirk. He was about to drop me, but then I thought about the discussion I was going to have with Benjamin and hung on. Then with 300 to I thought of the discussion again and turned on the kick. I was glad I was able to avoid the discussion that day.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »

Speaking of Mike Kirk, can't one of you guys/gals convince him to get back on the blog ??   Cheesy

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:48:55 am »

We've tried. But he is like a wild bobcat, difficult to tame.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: