Fast Running Blog
July 02, 2024, 12:54:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing myself ... advice for a slow-running newbie welcome ...  (Read 3085 times)
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« on: July 08, 2009, 04:25:36 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this blog a few days ago and got up the nerve to start a blog page here.

I can see there's a lot to read and think about in the other threads so I won't pester you with redundancies (I hope)...

I'm 38 y/o male, with no distance running experience. I always considered myself a "sprinter" and did short track events and relays in high-school (loooong ago!) and never even thought about distance running. I'm only average height (5'9" and am at 180 lbs right now) ... not exactly svelte, or a runner's body so to speak. I know I have at least 10 pounds to lose, and probably more like 15.

For the last couple of years I've been doing cardio/weights and other sporting activities like biking. I have some cardio fitness and I'm trying to build up the running mileage. My wife is an actual marathoner though ... she's done several, and Boston a couple of times several years ago. I have to credit her with even putting the idea of a marathon remotely in my head.

I liked this website because of its challenge to dare to think of yourself as a fast runner. I think I can be fast ... but for these distance races like the marathon? ... I am just not a slow-twitch guy. I have short arms and short legs... I guess I'm your "cross-trainer" body type or something ... ok maybe a better word is just "average".

We are going to run the Las Vegas marathon in December. This puts us at 21 weeks to train, counting this week. If this week goes well it will be my first logging 20 miles. I can say I was a bit surprised to see this site advocates building a base by running 6 days per week and 60+ miles before even thinking about speed training. Most other plans or programs have at least 2 or 3 rest days per week. I'm wondering if this is the difference between plans that are geared to people who want to just "finish" vs. people that want to "run fast"?

Oh, another thing is that my wife and I have a baby under 1 yr. old. I almost never get a full night's sleep, and I often run with the jogging stroller and/or the dog, so that affects my training a bit.  I find that if I do go for a run "unencumbered" by this stuff, the runs are faster/easier.

Any advice or caveats would be welcome. I will do my best to keep my blog updated with my mileage, etc.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:40:56 pm »

You might not want to hear this, but consider your decision to start long distance running as a long-term relationship.  Run easy and focus on slowly building a bigger base and heart volume over the next 2 years.  Patience and bull dog consistency should be the emphasis.  "There are no secrets".  You jump onto the speed wagon too quickly and consistency will wane.  A little tempo work is fine, but keep your tank full most of the time and save your reserves for the race.  If you are not enjoying the experience then you are running too hard.  Slow down, take a walk break, or pack it up and head home.  Just my 2 cents.   
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:48:41 am »

One of the reasons not to do speed training while building base mileage, is to avoid injury. This is very important.
First thing to do, is to get accustomed to run. Run 6 days a week, rest one day. No matter what. No matter how late you got in, how little you slept. Put in your mileage. If very tired, run slower, but put in the distance. Start with a daily mileage you think you can do comfortably enough to be able to repeat every day. Say 5 miles. Then increase, very slowly every couple of weeks. Maybe December is too soon. Start the training, and then decide.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

I disagree with the concept of "just doing base miles."  While the bulk of your training should be base miles,  I strongly believe that any decent training program should include a solid tempo run or a session of mile repeats (moderate speed training) once a week if training for a half marathon or marathon.... even if you are just starting out.  While 400 meter repeats would definitely be a bad idea and would be useless for marathon training, the only way to run faster.... is to run faster!  I can't bench press more weight unless I add more weight!

Here are my reasons for why I believe that speed training and tempo runs are an important part of any good training regimen:

1. Running the same pace every day is not only boring but you also recruit the exact same muscles constantly and will be more prone to injury.  Running at different speeds will use different recruiter muscles that will help prevent injury and will make you faster.

2. Tempo runs and speed work are critical for improving your lactic threshold and feeling comfortable at running a faster pace.  How can you expect to run a marathon at a 6:30 mile pace if you never train at that pace?

Obviously, this all has to be done within reason and moderation.

Just my two cents.

--Ben
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:43:18 am »

Welcome to the blog.  You are correct that the "6 day a week" training is geared towards faster running.  Resting 2-3 days per week is, in general, aimed towards finishing and towards preventing overuse injuries.  And you very much have to work your running around life- i.e. better to run slower with a stroller than not run, and better to run a bit shorter due to lack of sleep than force mileage and get sick/hurt.  I find the stroller slows me down 30+ seconds per mile, but don't try to maintain my non-jogger speed- just go slower and look at it at added resistance training.  As for the sleep, 8-9 hours is good, but there are lots of runners on this blog who get by on 7, 6, 5, or even 4 hours per night.  You just have to pay attention to your body and know your limits.  I usually get 5-6 hours per night.
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »

Thanks, that helps me understand the philosophy behind what people on this site are doing.

My wife and I are planning on doing fartlek/tempo stuff one day per week. I can definitely relate to the importance of building base miles, and that is my primary focus. I intend to listen to my body as closely as possible. I have enough "coaching" here at home and on the Web that I don't think I have to worry about logging "junk miles" or hurting myself.

I'm glad this site exists, thanks for putting it out there for people like me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: