Fast Running Blog
June 26, 2024, 07:08:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running King's Peak  (Read 3008 times)
Craig Lloyd
Lurker

« on: June 05, 2009, 03:12:25 pm »

I'm planning to head to King's Peak in the Uinta Mtn range the night of 7/1 and then wake up and run to the summit and back on the 2nd of July. If anyone is interested, all are welcome to join.

For those of you who are not too familiar with King's Peak, it is the tallest mountain in Utah at 13,528ft. The trail I will be running starts at Henry's Fork. It is a 24+ mile round trip. Starting elevation is 9,400 ft, roughly. So you gain a total of only 4,000 ft in about 12 miles, most of that in the last 3 miles from Dollar Lake to the summit. Much of the trail can be run with only a few sections where you have to hike or scramble.

I'm not a fast trail runner and this will be the longest run I've done to date. I've hiked the mountain in day, but not run it. The trail is well maintained and not tricky until after Anderson Pass. Again, if you'd like to join, post up. Many people don't really like to run with company, but I enjoy it, especially in an area as remote as the Uintas.

craig
Matthew Ricks
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:54:30 am »

I'd love to run that mountain with you, but unfortunately I will be at a family reunion in Idaho that weekend. If you plan to do again some time, and I don't have something else going on, I'm totally there.
Craig Lloyd
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:11:11 am »

Sounds good Matt. I do plan to do it again, for sure. I'll post up when I do. Thanks for the interest.
Craig Lloyd
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:47:02 am »

The King's Run has been postponed until mid-August. There is just still too much snow up there.

On a different note, I've decided I'm going to do something; maybe not for this year, but starting next year I'll do this annually.

I'm going to host my own private King's Peak Run, where I'll invite whoever wants to come. For those who summit and return I will even have finisher medals and snacks at the finish line. It will be the called the King's Marathon. There will be no cost to participate, although donations to cover the cost of medals and food will be welcome. If I can have them made in time for my run of King's in August, I'll do it this year. Again, this is not official and cannot be official as we will be on pristine wilderness land. It will just be a fun get together with runners of all sorts. If you are interested please reply to this thread and let me know. I want to see who might show up.

Thanks.

craig
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:06:40 am »

I am interested in doing the run some time.  I don't care much about the medal, but the run sounds fun.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: