Fast Running Blog
July 01, 2024, 07:11:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two a Day Workouts?  (Read 4166 times)
john
Lurker

« on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:32 pm »

I have been training for cross country the past month and I want to take my training up a notch.  I have been running about 45 miles a week.  I was wondering if I should start running two times a day.  Would that make me slower?  I know I would get better endurance but I also need speed for my 5k races.  Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »

This topic has been discussed before, here is a link to one of the previous discussions.

http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,228.0.html

I personally run and advocate two-a-days for several reasons:

1) Time:  Allows me to run higher mileage with other commitments (work, family)
2) Recovery:  Early morning runs are typically easy recovery mileage to increase base load safely.
3) Quality:  Allows for good quality workouts while increasing mileage safely.
4) Injury prevention:  A better way to increase mileage to higher levels safely to avoid injuries from lots of long single runs.

I have been running 2-a-days for a couple of years now and have done so safely.  It has allowed me to improve my overall conditioning and race performance.  But it does require a commitment and change in schedule to takes time to adapt to. 

So, early morning easy runs of 4-10 miles, then quality afternoon runs focused and strength or speed can get you to your improvement you desire.  I suggest starting out slow (1-2 days a week) then increasing as your body adapts.  Don't forget you still have to do you long runs during the training cycle as well (doubles does not replace the weekly long run). 

My initial thoughts, hope this helps.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »

Here is another old doubles post:
http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,793.0.html

The only comment to Jeff's post is that your weekly mileage and long run will likely be shorter than he noted (you probably won't do 10 mile easy runs and 20 mile long runs)- that's just a marathoner's mentality versus cross country.

I don't think it will make you slower- the mileage increase should make you faster.  But, be sure to not run hard every day- only 2-3 runs/week, esp. weeks of cc meets.  If you run morning and afternoon and make all of them hard/fast, you will increase injury risk and decrease performance. 

I would run this past your coach, as well.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 03:41:01 pm »

Good additions, Jon.  I forgot to take off my marathoner's hat and look at the advice from a cross country perspective. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:03:52 pm »

Yeah, I also sometimes forget that not everyone is training for a marathon.  Mainly when my wife reminds me that my easy 5-miler is not-quite-as-easy for her.  Grin
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:05:22 pm »

This topic has been discussed before, here is a link to one of the previous discussions.

http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,228.0.html

I personally run and advocate two-a-days for several reasons:

1) Time:  Allows me to run higher mileage with other commitments (work, family)
2) Recovery:  Early morning runs are typically easy recovery mileage to increase base load safely.
3) Quality:  Allows for good quality workouts while increasing mileage safely.
4) Injury prevention:  A better way to increase mileage to higher levels safely to avoid injuries from lots of long single runs.

I have been running 2-a-days for a couple of years now and have done so safely.  It has allowed me to improve my overall conditioning and race performance.  But it does require a commitment and change in schedule to takes time to adapt to. 

So, early morning easy runs of 4-10 miles, then quality afternoon runs focused and strength or speed can get you to your improvement you desire.  I suggest starting out slow (1-2 days a week) then increasing as your body adapts.  Don't forget you still have to do you long runs during the training cycle as well (doubles does not replace the weekly long run). 

My initial thoughts, hope this helps.

Once again, information I could have used YESTERDAY!!!   Grin
john
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:35:13 pm »

Thanks for all the help but one more question.  I am running eight miles a day.  Monday, wednesday, and Fridays are my speed workouts and the other days are my easy runs.  If I go to two a day runs than on my easy days would I run 4 miles in the morning and 4 miles at night or would I run 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles at night.  And also on the speed days would I run two speed workouts in one day or should I split it in half and do it in the morning and night?  Or could I do an easy run in the morning and a speed workout at night everyday?  Thanks
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »

I would not do more than 2-3 speed workouts a week, so if you do doubles on your speed days, make the other run that day (and the runs on non-speed days) easy.  Make your speed workouts hard, and all other runs easy (so that you can run even faster on your next speed workout).

As for how you split up miles, it's really up to you.  Like Jeff said, at only 45 mpw, I would only start doing doubles 1-2 days per week (you don't really have enough miles to do 2 runs every day)- maybe split up your easy days.  So do Mon- 1 speed run, Tue- 2 easy runs, Wed- 1 speed run, Thur- 2 easy runs, Fri- 1 speed run.  If you normally do 6 miles on your easy days, maybe you could increase it to 2 4-mile easy runs.  I wouldn't suggest replacing 1 8-mile easy run with 2 8-mile easy runs, though- if you increase miles, slowly build up to it.  Maybe you'll be doing 2 easy 8-milers in a few months, but not yet.  Double runs doesn't mean instant double mileage- start with more, shorter runs, so that your total mileage is about the same.  The slowly increase.
john
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 06:24:43 pm »

Ok, thanks for everything.  I will try that out and see what happens.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: