Fast Running Blog
July 01, 2024, 11:19:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Utility I Created That I Would Like To Share With Everybody  (Read 3929 times)
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« on: March 18, 2009, 01:24:13 pm »

Check this out!  I created an online spreadsheet that everyone can use to calculate their optimum training heart rate for each training and racing distance.  Just click on this link and you'll be able to play with the spreadsheet all you want:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=psp_pKQx6SAnuQ1EKC1ThXQ

Let me know what you think.

--Ben
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »

Neat spreadsheet
I do question how many people this fits though since many people have some very unusual HR ranges.  Where did you get the ideal % values? 
I ask since I seem to be too high for most if not all the ranges.
Me: age 28 max 191 (calculated, but is closer to 195 due to feedback from a 5K)
5K races put me at 185-190
1/2 Marathon: 174-178
Marathon: I stay at 170 plus or minus 5.
I guess I could just have a high HR compared to the norm
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:36:27 pm »

My calculations are all based on this article from Runner's World Magazine. 

Here is the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1039-2-2X5-3,00.html

I hope this sheds some more light!

--Ben
maryannsc
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:52 pm »

I have read that people's max and min HR can vary by up to 24 beats off the norm.  So my suggestion is to run a race that is at least a 5K ALL OUT wearing a heart monitor, preferably with a memory.  My heart rate has always been higher than the norm as well, so knowing this makes a huge difference in training and racing if you go off HR.

In high school at age 18, I wore a HR monitor in a 5K and a college coach suggested that I stay at a certain heart rate the whole race in a XC race.  So I had to get out really fast ahead of everyone the first 200-400 M to get my HR up to the target.  Then I had to slow down gradually throughout the rest of the race and EVERYONE passed me one by one and I fell WAY behind.  I think I was supposed to run it at about 190 or so.  Finally, with a mile to go I realized no one was dying off the pace and I wasn't going to catch anyone or even be that tired at the end so I said forget it and took off as fast as I could.  I caught most of the field and watched my HR climb steadily over 200 by the last 400.  By the last step of the race with my kick I got it up to 212.  My max HR was supposed to be 202 at that age.

In a half Marathon 2 years ago I wore one and was surprised how high I was able to keep my HR (I think it was over 190 for most of the race).  I think my max was 204 by the end.  I wasn't in as good of shape, so it was probably easier to get it so high.  I remember running probably the hardest I ever have and thought I might have a heart attack or something because I felt so beyond tired.  I've tried to remember that race ever since to help me remember how hard I can push myself.

I think those goal percentages sound about right though.
maryannsc
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:08:54 pm »

Ben, sorry I ditched you on the run today, or let you ditch me Smiley  I had some things I had to talk about right away with Sasha.  Good job on the workout!  Hope you had some fun despite our serious running conversations!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:44 pm »

So Mary Ann must have been 8 years old in that cross-country race :-)

My opinion on HR. Do not worry about it, it will get to what it needs to. Monitoring it is a good idea. Targeting it is a bad idea.

See http://asksasha.com/Running/Top-10-Training-Mistakes.html
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »

So Mary Ann must have been 8 years old in that cross-country race :-)

My opinion on HR. Do not worry about it, it will get to what it needs to. Monitoring it is a good idea. Targeting it is a bad idea.

See http://asksasha.com/Running/Top-10-Training-Mistakes.html

I agree.  I quit worring about HR training a year ago and just started focusing on goal pacing times and I have improved immensly in the last year.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:58:04 pm »

Like Rhett, I've quit using the heart rate monitor.  I would never push because my heart rate would go up and psychologically I would be defeated.  I've done better recently focusing on pace.

Still, cool of you to make a spreadsheet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: