Fast Running Blog
June 30, 2024, 02:17:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How am I doing?  (Read 6449 times)
Eric Day
Posting Member

« on: December 30, 2008, 06:04:17 pm »

I started blogging at the end of October, but I need someone to guide my progress.
Now, I believe I'm running more consistently and putting in more mileage, so I can ask this question:
The plan is to run a HM (Half-Marathon) the 22nd of February & a (FM) full marathon in October.
What time frame should I aim for? HM & FM? Do I have enough mileage yet?
Please give me some ideas on how to get better!

Thanks everyone!

Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »

I think you are doing great.  You have been very consistent.  I am concerned about your knees.  How is your pain level?  Have they gotten better or worse over the last two weeks?  Have you had them looked at?  You have also noted alot of soreness in your legs.  I wonder if this is because you are new to running and your body is still adjusting? 

I personally believe in a year of 1/2 marathons before jumping into the marathon arena.  If you are patient enough to bear it, I think your body would benefit from doing a series of 3-5 half marathons this year (starting Feb should be fine), and try to improve your marathon performance from running it hard, to racing it (so perhaps run some 15-18 mile long runs this summer to enable you to truly race your way through a fall 1/2 marathon.  Then you will have a solid foundation for marathoning in 2010 after a couple of 1/2's.  This assumes your knee enables you to continue training, and assumes you have lots of patience.  I think the marathon is great, but I personally don't think it embodies running and racing, and you can enjoy your running, and be a "real" runner long before you finish your first marathon.  I ran for 17 years before running a marathon.  So that's my two cents on that.

If you are asking for pace guidance for the Feb 1/2 marathon, I think you need to complete some longer tempos or compete in another 10k or two for pace before the race since your improvement curve is quite steep.  Your last 10K (PR 49:01) predicts a 1:48:40 1/2 marathon from the Jack Daniel's Running Formula conversion chart.  Part of converting 10k's to longer distances too is gauging whether you are stronger at shorter or longer races, but I guess since you haven't raced longer you might have to speculate.  But how you feel in long runs might give you an indication.

Best of luck in your training and take care of your little injuries before they become big ones.

Probably more than you ever wanted to hear from me, but hey, you asked for it  Tongue
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:27:38 am »

Michelle, thanks for taking time to look at my numbers and give some great input.

About my knees, pains & aches, pain level is low, don't think its bad enough to see professional people. I think its just that I've tried to put in to many miles to fast for my body (Its still trying to adjust after so many years of potato couching). This week in particular, although I've incremented my daily milage, I feel better, specially at the knees.

I hear you on the difference between running & racing a marathon. I have my eyes set on three HM for 2009: one in Feb, one in Mar & last one in Sep. The Sep one is "THE" HM of the year, and the one where I would try to set my best PR possible. I want to 'race' the Sep HM. The Feb & Mar would serve as learning centers.

Also, I truly want to run the full marathon in October, not race it. Just finish the race in a decent time. You think it could hurt my training if I do it even if I'm not prepared to 'race' it yet?

There is one 10k race in January, the 25th to be exact. I wasn't sure if I should run it or not. So, your opinion would be to run it? What pace should I aim for in the 10k race? How hard should I run it?

This weekend I plan to do a 12-14 mile long run. My program has 1 mile increment every two weeks for daily runs, and the long run (on Saturdays) is just twice the daily milage. So by the end of January I should be running decent long runs.

Again, thanks for the Input & no, it's not more than I wanted to hear. Please feel free to give input anytime! =)

Although I'm running longer distances now, I feel I'm running slower...
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:33 pm »

Hi Eric,

It is typical to reduce your overall speed as you increase your mileage - it will pay off in the end.  I like the idea of jumping to races as a way to break up some of the slower running (it is easier than doing speedwork - and I have friends who "race themselves into shape" every year).   If your body can handle it you should try to run a 1/2 or 10K every month - the "planning" 1/2's are a really good idea, it helps to dial in your training paces - and  you should be able to see some results in your races pretty quickly.  The main problem is staying healthy and injury free!!  Consistency will give you the greatest benefits at the end of the day.

Another good place to get some free information (in addition to the fastrunningbloggers) is www.mcmillanrunning.com, Greg is a "student" of Jack Daniels and Arthur Lydiard and his website is full of good information.

Bonnie 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:01:16 pm by Bonnie » Logged
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:19:43 am »

Thanks Bonnie, I will try to fit in a 10k or HM every month as part of training.

Please give more input !!! Need all comments given! =)

Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:30:49 pm »

I did my first marathon last September (3:53) at the time my PRs were 41:50 for 10km 1:35 for HM. For the training I followed the Pfitzinger and Douglas plan which peaked at around 70 MPW. On the day of the marathon I set off at 3:30 pace, but my legs kinda died after around 16 miles, the reason for that was I did 95% of my training on trails or treadmill! So those last couple of mile I jogged/walked home! I was happy enough to get under 4 hours (considering 5 years ago I didn't even run!).

I think there is a BIG difference between running a marathon to complete the distance and racing it.

Although the marathon didn't go quite as well as hoped, the months after (once I recovered) I continued with the same kind of mileage and my times have come down since--the marathon training ended up being like a big base phase.

When I first started increasing the mileage my legs would be very tired some weeks and the pace would slow so you do need to bear that in mind. Also be careful about doing long runs too fast, when I was marathon training I would notice being heavy legged couple of days after a hard long run.

Eventually your body will adapt though, I have found my endurance is much better and I recover from workouts quicker, also my pace for easy runs has gone up.

I had done two half marathons before my first marathon. I have a blog about some things I might do differently etc plus a review of the marathon itself (let me know if you want to read it, I won't post it here as it is a bit long!)
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:22:03 am »

Eric,
My story may be different from others. I am 49 running for the first time in my life. I started in mid April 08 walking a mile then 2 then 4. I finally made it to 14-15 miles in 4 hours....wow! what an accomplishment. That is when it all began for me. I signed up to run the St. George Marathon 5 months later figuring I could walk the whole thing if need be. Is started to try to mix in some running into my walks. I ended up with a work injury that almost stopped my road to running before it really got started. With delays to heal etc. I began to train for the marathon in mid July. My first goal was to run a mile without stopping. I was discouraged because I wanted to have a good experience and it wasn't happening for me.
I went one day to run a 3.50 mile course close to my home. I was very familiar with it because I had been on it several times. I decided I needed to run the whole thing without stopping. It was hard but it worked out. I did it 5 days in a row.
I began in earnest to read the blog and read articles about running. I got set up in the correct shoes and recieved great encouragment from the bloogers.
Long story short....you can go back an read my blogs about my training. I got serious about goals. I was shooting for a 5 1/2 hour marathon. Many were telling me I could do better. As the training continued I set goals for 4 1/2 hours then 4 hours. Most of this goal setting was against everything that I had read about the first marathon but I needed the goals to push me to get better.
I ran my first race, 1/2 marathon 45 days after I started training. 30 days later I ran my first marathon in terrible rainy, cold & windy conditions. I ran it in 3:52.56.
I truly believe that we all have different ways to get to the end result. I try to follow what I read in articles but I also know my body better than anyone. I love running and it has saved my life!
Good luck to you and your goals with running. Take all the information that you can get and form your plan. Keep reading the blogs of other runners. I do this very often. I may not comment on the blogs but I get empowered by reading the stories, the struggles, the injuries and try to learn from everyone.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:06 am »

Chris, do send me the link to your comments on your races. I will certainly read them.
And yes, after the long runs my legs do feel tired. Specially the calves & knees. But after a rest day and a easy run, I feel better, much better.
Scott, thanks for the input, I will certainly keep an eye on others people blog.

Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 10:38:11 am »

Eric, I was looking over this post, and took a look at your blog. I have a thought on the knees and leg pains, etc. My first question to you is, how big are you? The reason I ask this is connected with your Nike Vomero's. Those are an exceptionally soft shoe. I ran on 3 pairs of them. In the beginning I thought I needed something softer for what I thought was my fragile knees. As I dropped weight (down from 190 to 160) I began to feel tired in my legs and was having off and on minor pains that I felt I shouldn't have. I spoke to a few people at a running store here in town and made the decision to go to a firmer shoe. With the Vomeros there is a lot of weight shifting that occurs as the shoe compresses. My primary reason for switching to a firmer shoe was actually speed. A softer shoe will lead to slower times. In connection with the switch I haven't had a single ache or pain since. Prior to the switch I had hamstring problems, ankel problems, and a bout of plantar fascitis (sp?). Just a thought. Those shoes are nice and soft, but I'm convinced such softness can lead to problems. If you're a Nike fan, I tried the Nike Elite (I liked this shoe quite a bit) and the Nike Pegasus (probably too firm of a shoe for an original switch -- I only use these on speed days or days when other shoes are rubbing oddly as shoes sometimes do, or when the other pair is wet from the day before). Currently I'm running on Asics Cumulus. I love those shoes, but the back is a bit high and takes some adjusting. You may want to give the Asics Nimbus a try as its a bit softer, but not as soft as the Vomero. Just some food for thought.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:18:43 pm »

Jeff, good point. I'm 1.83 mts high & weigh about 170 pounds. Don't know if this is big or small. I have felt more comfortable with the Nike than with the Adidas shoes I have. I'll be buying a third pair of shoes very shortly. The problem is that here I can't find a store were the clerk actually helps you buy a good pair of running shoes. They are usually not-helpful. Haven't seen Asics here, but will try the Elite or Pegasus.
Thanks Jeff !

Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 10:55:56 am »

Just thought I would update a point made by Michelle here:

Your last 10K (PR 49:01) predicts a 1:48:40 1/2 marathon from the Jack Daniel's Running Formula conversion chart.

Right on. I did a 1:46:46 HM. Not bad ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: