Fast Running Blog
July 04, 2024, 03:38:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: stretching  (Read 5305 times)
Steve
Lurker

« on: March 15, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »

What are the best ways to stretch before and after running?
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:07:14 pm »

i think it totally depends on the person. after running with a lot of different people i have found some people stretch a ton and some people hardly stretch at all. i don't usually stretch unless i am feeling uncomfortably tight. for me, running on a daily basis seems to keep everything limber. i have not experienced injuries due to my non-stretching habits, but it definitely can be beneficial in making sure you stay loose and avoid injury.

the best stretches - Huh
just make sure you hit all the major muscle groups, especially in the legs.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1687/stretchesdf1.jpg
this is a link to a silly sketch, but it does show ways to stretch out all the major muscle groups.

also, if you stretch before your run, make sure to do a warm-up first so that you aren't stretching cold muscles.

Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:59:16 pm »

People who stretch think it's totally necessary. People who don't stretch can be as adamant about it's dangers as it's strengths. My only observation, backed by experience, is to stretch gently. I think small tears which can start with a simple stretch sometimes become injuries because of the repetitive stresses inherent in running. Somehow, stretching and "warming up" need to be synonymous.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:51:36 pm »

I've tried it both way - stretching, and no stretching. Results for me - stretching has always improved the flexibility, but did not have any noticeable effect on running speed, endurance, or injury rate.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:55:39 pm »

I don't think stretching will help race performance. In fact, I've seen a study that reported that people who don't stretch have better efficiency (which I interpreted as more "twang" in the muscles   Wink).

For people that are more injury-prone, or already injured, I think stretching may have a bigger role. But the jury is still out, as you will find camps at both ends of the field.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »

I think I agree with some things Paul said. 
My high school coach used to always have us do "kinetic" stretching (i.e. basically a warmup that is heavy on the loosening up/stretching side but always in motion) before our workouts and save the "static" (i.e. "touch your toes and hold for 15 seconds" type stuff) until after.  He said that you don't want to take all the spring out of your muscles before you work out.  Also hard static stretching apparently can cause micro tears in the muscles and if you go hit a hard workout right after it can make those into bigger tears and over time become an injury so you want to allow time for your muscles to heal between static stretching and working out.  At least in theory.  It seems to work out for me. 
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:54:42 am »

Thanks for asking this question.  I've been wanting to ask it for a while.  It seems like I only see about 10% (or less) of runners at any even stretching out beforehand.  I do a lot of cold stretching, which probably isn't good, but I haven't seen any injuries as a result yet.  Can you give me some ideas on how to do this "kinetic" stretching? Jumping jacks, maybe?
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:15:05 pm »

I like to stretch because it feels good and makes me think that I am doing something good. Does it actually help, maybe. I think the only good evidence out there says that stretching cold probably causes more injuries than it prevents.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:15:19 pm »

Burt - google for "active isolated stretching" - that is the kind you are looking for.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:52:26 pm »

I used to stretch everyday, but it didn't keep me from getting injured.  Self massage and some easy stretching after a run work better for me.  I know some dudes that swear by Yoga though.  Hot Yoga sounds interesting, but I don't have time for that stuff.
Josse

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 10:42:42 am »

I am a huge believer in stretching.  I only stretch once a day for 10-20 mins.  and it is usually at night but sometimes after I run.  I focus on opening up my hips, hamstrings, hip flexors, abs and back.  I do a series of yoga stretches.  I like the sun salutations in Ashtanga yoga, I got them form a book by Beryl Bender Birch.  She gears her stuff to runners.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 12:06:41 pm »

I'll have to check that book out. 

Try to say Beryl Bender Birch 10 times really fast. Tongue
Josse

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »

She has two books I like the one with the blue cover with her and her hubby doing the triangle pose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: