Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 08:54:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 2906 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: March 16, 2009, 03:25:22 pm »

Sometimes when I do my long runs (anything over 13miles) on hills, the bottoms of my feet get really sore.  This doesn't happen on the track or on trails or on the TM or even on 8-10 mile runs through the hills.  Not a injury type pain or anything that makes me wince or cringe in anyway.  There's no central point of pain...it's almost that feeling your legs get in the weight room if you haven't done deep lunges or squats for a while...just kind of sore.  Perhaps it comes from slapping my feet too hard on the downhill?  Or maybe it's due to me running 70-80 miles per week at my weight (way 175-180lbs).  I don't know.  Most recently I did so on shoes that have maybe 100 or so miles on them.  Usually a day of rest followed by a recovery run or two days of recovery running fully does the trick.  Should I have any reason for concern? 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:29:45 pm »

In my opinion any pain that does not stop you from running and goes away the next day is not a reason for too much concern. However, I've never experienced or heard of this type of problem, it is definitely odd. It might reveal the lack of proper downhill technique, but nothing to worry about here, either. Focus on being smooth on the downhills, and it should come with time. It took me a couple of years to learn how to run downhill, and I noticed a similar pattern for out of state runners that move to Utah.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »

If you think it is from slapping on the downhills, then monitor your form- you should lean downhill (keep body parallel with road), and take faster, shorter strides.  See if that helps. 
Steve
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:48:54 pm »

I have noticed the same things with the bottom of my feet after longer runs. I use to be in the army. During the initial physical, the army told me that I had partial flat feet but they let me in anyway. It is an occasional pain for me that comes and goes. You might want to go to a doctor to see if you have flat feet, too.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:13:27 am »

I think it is just called tired feet, you mileage monster!
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:50:52 pm »

thanks for the input...I found it reassuring and helpful. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: