Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 10:50:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Down Time/ Seasonal Recovery  (Read 3241 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: November 12, 2008, 11:24:59 am »

Listening to my body, my body is telling me its time to call it a season. I had one more race planned on Thanksgiving Day. I think I won't race this, but just jog it with my brother-in-law and chat as we run. I'm wondering what sorts of post-season rest people take and what they do during that time. I've trained hard for 5 months and had some successful races during that time. I was up to 65 mpw at the peak and 50-55 the last 6 weeks or so while in the peak of my racing season. I'm wondering if I should stop running entirely, or if I should run a few days a week, or if I should continue to run at about half the mileage and very easy pace.

Just curious what other people do for a break at the close of a race season.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:06:31 pm »

I actually used to never run or anything during the winter. Winters here in the northeast are pretty brutal. I know most people here if they are going to run in the winter will decrease their mileage and run just 4 days a week and maintain like 25-30 mpw.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:13 pm »

Take time off if you feel like you need it; it's always best to listen to your body and treat it right. However, I wouldn't stop running COMPLETELY...unless you want to start from scratch come spring. I would run as many miles as you feel you can handle, and maybe some cross training on your non-running days just to keep your heart pumping and maintain a steady fitness level. I just think you might regret the no running at all... it would take a lot more time to get back into racing shape than if you maintained good base mileage in your off-season.

OR you can always stay in shape doing non-running activities like snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Even the great Deena Kastor incorporates snowshoeing into her winter training. whatever you like, i guess!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »

If you are really burnt out, take 2 weeks off.  Or more, if you need.  It is better than slogging thru runs and getting more and more burnt out.  But like everyone else says, you will have more success if you keep running 3-4 times a week.  I have taken 3-5 months completely off sometimes, mainly due to end of season combined with injury recovery.  Last year, I did a very easy Oct followed by only 18 miles in Nov.  Then I picked it up again in December and had my best year ever.  I would just really listen to your body and mind and do what they tell you.  If you are not looking forward to any of your runs, then time off may be needed.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:29:27 am »

I agree with the others.  Time off is the only way to run better the year after.  Many of us get over excited after our last marathon or race of the season and continue to train only to get injured or burnt out.  I wish so bad I would have taken 2 week off after SG, I don't think I would be battling my back right now if I would have.  The body needs a break from the intense training.  But like allie said after some time off, still run and/or crosstrain.  Winter time the time to let the body rest and heal.  Enjoy it!
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:58 pm »

Jeff, I am just coming down from a "runner's high" after a 62 minute pr in the marathon.  Took like a day or two off and was on fire for the past 2-3 weeks- legs feel great, running "fast" every other day, exciting to get out whenever possible.  It's now caught up with me and I'm going to see the foot doctor on Monday morning.  Hopefully, he'll tell me to rest for a week or two.  Meanwhile, I'm cross-training to maintain fitness.  Like Josse, I think I'd be fine if I'd have taken a 2-week post marathon break.  Congratulations on your outstanding marathon and whatever you choose to do, good luck in the upcoming season!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: