Fast Running Blog
June 15, 2024, 10:11:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/Favorite running books  (Read 10651 times)
breanna cobler
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

My favorite running book is "I run, therefore I am- nuts" by Bob Schwartz. It is really funny and a quick easy read. There is a good motivational poem at the end, and throughout the book it talks about things every runner can relate to and puts a humorous twist on it.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 02:48:44 pm »

If I can find my copy you can have it.  I'll let you know if I can dig it up.

That would be great, Andy.  I can only find it used online and they want crazy prices for it (~$80+).
Jon, I'm still trying to track this down.  I have this fear that my kid's mom found out how much it is worth and sold it on ebay.
Lucia
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:08:28 am »

I really liked "Why we run: A Natural History" by Bernd Heinrich. A very easy read about the history of men and why running is in our nature.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 12:31:27 pm »

My friend found a copy of "Once a Runner" in pdf format on the Internet...free!  I haven't read it yet though.  I'll try to find it in my inbox.  Post your email address to my blog (Shauna, Boston 2009), and I'll send you a copy.

Hmmm...maybe I could make some money...just kidding!

Nothing beats curling up in the office chair to stare at the computer for a few hours!  I guess you could always print it out!
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 08:51:46 pm »

Wow! They found a copy of it on the internet. Do you know by chance what site they got it from?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 08:53:35 pm »

The link doesn't work.  Can't find it on the internet anymore.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:57 pm »

Dang that's too bad. I didn't hear about this book until it was already way rare and impossible to find.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 06:06:36 pm »

I just finished Bart Yasso's "My Life on the Run"  it was entertaining and filled with stories about some of the wild running adventures he has experienced, as well as his battle with Lyme's Disease and how it has affected his running. The back contains structured workout plans, as well as includes descriptions of his favorite races and where they are located around the globe.

I also have read Katherine Switzer's "Marathon Woman" It is OK, and motivational at a few parts, but for the most part it is kind of cheesy and is basically a recap of her life and isn't entirely focused on running (gets a lot into her career and women's rights in sports, etc.)

So those are my two book reviews. Recommend Bart Yasso's for sure. He is an amazing guy.
Thatcher
Lurker

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 06:15:54 pm »

I recently finished Once A Runner. I liked it. It wasn't my favorite running book, but it was very good. I also liked Running With The Buffaloes. My dad found a copy online of Once A Runner for a reasonable price. It was expensive, but not over $100 I think.
Mark Olson
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 08:26:07 pm »

My dad found a copy online of Once A Runner for a reasonable price. It was expensive, but not over $100 I think.
I actually got it for something like $35.  At the time I found 4 or 5 copies for sale online, and they were all around $100 except for the one.  My favorite books are "Lactate Lift-off" and "Underground Secrets to Faster Running."  Right now I'm reading "C.C. Pyle's Amazing Foot Race."  It's great fun!  It is the true story of the 1927 transcontinental race across America.  (Sorry I snagged it first, Thatch.  You can have it when I'm done.)  These guys ran 30 - 70 miles a day for months, some of them in street shoes or workboots!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: