Fast Running Blog
September 28, 2024, 04:23:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nausea after a race  (Read 2818 times)
Christina Robinson
Lurker

« on: June 17, 2008, 04:22:07 pm »

I'm writing on behalf of a friend.  She is new to running. This year she has run three half-marathons. She said about an hour after each race she got sick (throwing up) and was out of commission for the rest of the weekend.  I told her it could maybe be her eating habits (the night before Bear Lake Half she had a hamburger with potato fries).   Is there anything else that would contribute to this problem?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »

Lack of fitness. If you are not properly conditioned, you will run anaerobically even at a very low speed. Especially if you do it at a higher elevation. For some people running at any speed is anaerobic. And anaerobic running goes very well with throwing up - the body starts thinking it needs to clean up when the muscle acidity levels reach critical levels.

Solution - consistent training and patience.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:32:48 pm »

One possible cause of nausea:
http://runningdoctor.runnersworld.com/2008/06/antacids-and-in.html
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:07 pm »

I get very sick after running marathons.  I have figured out with some help from fellow bloggers (I think it was Jon)  that it is a lack of salt or overhydrating.  I allways thought it was my blood sugar, but know that I think about it everything that makes me feel better has salt in it.  This could be the cause.  There are some good links to this on my blog right after Odgen of this year.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: