Fast Running Blog
June 22, 2024, 08:44:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USATF stretching study looking for volunteers  (Read 2889 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« on: May 27, 2008, 07:16:55 am »

http://www.usatf.org/stretchstudy/

James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:25:22 am »

I saw that somewhere, but they were looking for volunteers to stretch before running, and I have firmly decided that is *not* for me.  I only stretch after my run.  I am kind of surprised they would ask for volunteers to stretch before their run, since that is the time when the muscles are cold and stiff, and you stand to do the most damage to your muscles by stretching them.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:12:27 am »

That is their whole premise- there has not been a definitive, reputable study on pre-workout stretching (so they say), which is exactly why they are doing this study.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13:20 am »

muscles are never cold and stiff...they might feel that way, but they aren't. if they ever were, you'd be dead.

The difference in the feeling is in the amount of blood flow to the particular muscle (pre-warm up v post-warmup).  After doing some simple pre-warmup exercises you are fine for stretching pre-run if you'd like to do that. However, your flexibility will be significantly increased post activity. So if you are focusing on stretches to increase flexibility, after your run is the time to do it.

Also, from a research standpoint, I wouldn't trust USATF to be able to answer this question definitively, and especially with such an open enrollment to participants allowing for any number of factors to cause injury, not just stretch v. non stretch group. They might as well do a study asking for volunteers to eat 3 candy bars v not eating 3 candy bars to asses injury risk. Also with one of their prerequisites being "run 10 miles a week or more", unless they seperate their subjects results by mileage base (among other factors), you will not find useful answers to this question for those running 50-70 or 80-100 or 100-120 miles a week. Those are just a few of the things not right with this study.

Basically, it looks to me like they are just trying to design a simple study (that will look like it is important) with the intent to increase more "runner world" interest in their website and organization. But, that is just my opinion, and I understand if it isn't shared.
KellyP
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:37:20 am »

While I agree with Adam's assessment of the study as it relates to the many uncontrolled variables and the difficulty in reaching clear conclusions from the results, I must say that often it is necessary for ANY study to get done in order to spur more serious research. In fact, it has been my experience that a poor study can often be beneficial as more serious researchers will work to design better experiments in reaction to reading what they see as an obviously flawed project.

I guess it goes back to my days as a grad student when even the lamest projects were important to somebody for some reason.

I signed up for this one and got put into the Stretching group. We shall see how the study progresses over the next 3 months.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: