Fast Running Blog
June 28, 2024, 10:17:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon Recovery  (Read 2912 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: April 07, 2008, 09:14:32 am »

Just wanted to hear some feedback from others on how long one should take off to recover from a marathon, what sort of regiment does one get back into, how long do you give yourself to get back up to mileage, etc.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:32 am »

I think it takes your body at least 3-4 weeks to recover.  The more you have done, the course, and how hard you run all depend on recovery time as well.  I will usually take a few days off and then start with something like a reverse taper.  I think it also depends if it is a fall or spring marathon as well.  I take more down time after a fall marathon (back to base training).  Everyones body is differant and requires differant recovery time.  You can usually tell when your body is fully recovered and you can get into regular training.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:37:07 pm »

Josse is right- no need to rush into things.  Take a few days off, then start with some really easy runs (4 miles or less).  Gradually increase the mileage, but no speedwork.  After 3-4 weeks, you should feel about up to normal and can start to really train after that.  But remember that you can do a lot more damage by doing too much too soon than any benefit you will get by rushing back.  Take some days off and go easy.  Plus get lots of sleep- your body is very prone to sickness for the first week or two, as well.
Mike
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:47 am »

I found this post while looking for some others opinions since running a marathon yesterday.  I find this info to be consistent and can agree that some easy weeks are good, however 3-4 days of rest concerns me some.  I have always practiced some nice light and easy miles after any hard race for the next two days.  This is to keep your muscles from contracting too much, light running will stretch you out and will also help with clear out all the junk built up in your body. 

I personally went out this morning on my stiff legs and ran an easy 2.4 miles, just a fun run, to loosen up and keep my motivation there.  If i sit around too long, its easy to be lazy.  I am not saying that 3-4 days of rest is wrong, but it might not be best for everyone. As with everything in life nothing seems to be a perfect solution for the entire human race.

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:01 am »

Mike- we didn't say 3-4 days of rest were needed.  Or weeks.  We said that it takes about 3-4 weeks before you are completely recovered from the marathon.  Rule of thumb is it takes about 1 day per mile of a race to completely recover.  In other words, if you try to run a half marathon a week or two after a marathon, you are greatly increasing your chances of injury, sickness, or just having a bad race.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do training runs at all.  Just to clarify.

As for how many days off you need after a marathon, that completely depends on what you want, like you said.  There is nothing wrong with doing some easy (very easy) runs the days after a marathon- it can indeed help the recovery, like you noted.  But taking a few days off is fine, as well.  I know that trying to run after St. George is almost too painful for me to even think about.

Personally, if I had been ~80 mpw before a marathon, my post-race mileage per week would probably be ~30-40, then 50, then 60, then 70-80 by the 4th week.  And I wouldn't do any real hard workouts for at least 2-3 weeks.  But that is just me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: