Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 08:18:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who have already run Boston, please tell me everything I need to know.  (Read 2280 times)
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« on: February 06, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »

I've only run northern Utah marathons, the biggest field being about 3300 for the inaugural Salt Lake marathon.  A field of 25K for Boston is mind boggling, and I have no Idea what "corrals" are or how they work.  I'm also used to waking up, eating my oatmeal and having my wife drop me off at the starting line.  I go from bed to starting line in two hours which includes a 15 minute drive.  My main concern is all the hours of idle time from leaving the hotel to the race start, isn't it about 4 hours?  How do you handle your "fuel" during this period?   It seems to me you can easily over eat and drink during this period, or under eat and drink.  What do you do?  Also, i'm concerned about how this downtime with effect my need to use the facilities at an in-opportune time?  This whole down time thing has me freaked out with respect to my eating/drinking and using the restroom routine.  Should I do something in my training to prepare for this?

I live, train and race at 4500 feet, what can i expect once I hit sea level?  I'm under the impression that I can reduce 5 to 8 minutes off my time just by the altitude change. 

How should I run the course?  It seems to be a fast first half with some up and down variation during the last third.  Heartbreak hill is a 90 foot rise over a half mile.  The other up and downs are also about a half mile with about a 50 foot rise.  This does not concern me at all, is this foolish?  The Salt Lake marathon has a 200 foot rise over a quarter mile at the end of mile 25, that seems like more of a hearbreaker, it only cost me an extra 30 seconds.  I've been told that it's real easy to go out too fast, due to excitement and downhill grade only to have the last third really kick your butt.

For me, this is truly a situation of small town boy goes to the big city.  Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.  Some tips on setting a goal time would be helpful as well.  My qualifying time was 3:28 last April.  I am faster and stronger now.  I just ran a flat 5K in 20:05, a 30 second improvement over the same race last year.  What do I take from this?

Thank you in advance.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

First time for me too and I share many of your concerns. I'm looking forward to some feedback on this topic.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:23:54 pm »

I've only done Boston once, so there are others better qualified than me, but no one has answered yet.

A few answers/opinions:  Regarding corrals, I suggest reading some on the race website.  Basically, 20-30 min before the race, you should find your proper corral (which is based on your bib number)- don't worry, they will explain this to you at the expo.  You do have a while prior to the race at the starting area, and I suggest leaving the school where they drop you off and wandering the streets around town a bit- lots of nice people will be out, sitting in lawn chairs, and some may even let you use their bathrooms.  For the eating/drinking prerace- the best answer to this is to do some of you weekly long runs late-morning and find what works for you.  You will probably want to eat a bit more in the morning.

As for what time to aim for, Sasha's calculator is very accurate: http://asksasha.com/predictor.php

Just like any marathon, try to not go out too fast.  Boston has some downhills at the start and you will have so much energy from the race that you need to really concentrate to not go out faster than you want.  As for the hills- just train on some in SLC and you'll be fine, same as we would recommend for any race. 

Good luck and have fun.  Just remember- I think Boston is more of an experience than a race for most people.  So have fun, enjoy it, soak in the atmosphere, and make memories.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: