Fast Running Blog
June 25, 2024, 05:46:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rest before races?  (Read 4502 times)
Dan
Lurker

« on: August 03, 2010, 01:52:40 pm »

So while you are all still running your mileage do you all take the day off before a race or how much time you take off depend on the race? I know marathons involve tapers, but do you guys and gals taper for a half? I would not think so since you cover that distance almost weekly on the long runs, but hey that is why I am asking!
So based on these races - how much time do you take off or scale down your running?

5K?
10K?
15?
Half Marathon?

I have not being taking much of any rest for 5K's (I would take the day before off and do some strides like Paul mentioned in another post), but I have some longer races coming up that I want to test my training on while still getting ready to run a marathon early winter or early spring. I hope this makes sense because I want some races but do not want to give up too much of my base mileage.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »

Dan- it depends if it is a focus race or not.  If I'm training through the race, I don't take any days off, or maybe go easy the last day or two.  For full and half marathons, I'll often front load my week (i.e. 40-50 miles in the first 2 days), then do a 3 day taper (30-45 min easy runs each day) if I want to do well but they aren't focus races.  For focus marathons, I do 10-14 day taper, and 6-8 day for a focus half.  I don't have enough experience with 5k's and 10k's recently to comment on those.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:32 pm »

Dan, this was posted recently:  http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1409.0.html

I know a couple years ago I ran a 5k pr the day after a 20 mile long run.  I did not do run the long run intentionally to prep for the 5k, obviously, but it was how my schedule worked out. 

John's input is accurate for the longer races.  If you are using a race in the context of training for an upcoming race you probably would not want to taper at all.  If the race is a key race than it would be prudent to find a taper that works for you.
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:43:05 pm »

Thanks guys, seeing what works out there. David you made me laugh since that link was from my question as well Smiley That was just a question about why I felt strong, this is more based on not taking too much rest time yet still wanting to be strong during a race.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »

Days off before a race can be detrimental. You can lose fitness, and can get that "out-of-sync" feeling. Can lead to feeling flat during the race (not always, but it's a risk). Plus, it's entirely unnecessary. If it's not a key race, and you want to treat it like a glorified workout, keep the mileage the same, but just back off the pace. One way to "taper" is just to run really slow, without reducing mileage. If it's a key race, you can back off the mileage a little for two or three days before the race. I usually back off two days before a 5K/10K and three days before a half marathon. But I still run those days.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:19 am »

I sometimes do a shorter run and pool run to make up the difference, thereby retaining fitness but still feeling like I am fresh for the race.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:19:24 am »

So glad this topic came up!  I have a half-marathon next weekend and want to do really well, but don't want to taper and sacrifice mileage.  I like your suggestion, Jon, of the front-loaded week and then backing off for the last few days before.  Question though--I usually do speedwork with a group on Thursday--do you suggest I still do the speedwork Thursday, then jog easy Friday, and race Saturday?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:33 am »

I usually don't do speedwork or anything hard that close to a race, but it's up to you. It certainly won't kill you.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:11 pm »

If I'm doing speedwork the week of a race, I usually do it no later than Tuesday.  But like Paul said, it won't kill you.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:35:20 pm »

My schedule this week varied from my hard on Tu Th because of my race.  I did a med long run Tues, speed Wed, then easy Th, F.
jtshad

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »

A 1-2 week taper (cut back the first week, taper the second) with some fast running at the start of the taper week should make you good to go for the race.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: