Fast Running Blog
June 28, 2024, 01:15:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoe mileage for treadmill running?  (Read 2718 times)
Joe
Lurker

« on: July 12, 2010, 08:37:16 am »

I'm doing a lot of treadmill running and wondering about the effects on the durability of my shoes vs. running on pavement.  Do y'all think the shoes would still only last 500 miles or would they go, say, twice as far?  I realize putting a percentage to it is little more than a guessing game, especially given that all shoes are different, but what are your guesses as to how much longer a pair of shoes would last if used only on treadmills?  Thanks.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:01 am »

Mileage counts the same on TM or road running (in fact at times I think the outersole goes almost faster on TM's!).
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:40:18 am »

I do a lot of running on the treadmill (mainly workouts), I think you can get a lot more miles from a pair of shoes that is only used for the treadmill, the rate of wear is basically zero compared to pavement/road etc. Obviously the cushioning will still deteriorate but often the impact from the treadmill on the legs is less. The main problem I find is that the shoes often get very wet from sweat!
Rob Rohde
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:30:50 am »

I'd have to take out a second mortgage on my home if I bought shoes every 500 miles.  Or get a second job.  Maybe I'm just not fast enough to tell the difference, but I have a pair of shoes with over 2500 miles on them that I keep going back to just cause they are more comfortable and I don't want to wear out my new ones Smiley.  I do get new insoles for them every so often though.  I do run quite a bit on the treadmill, and think the treadmill is much easier on shoes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: