Fast Running Blog
June 24, 2024, 06:34:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Galloway Walking Strategy  (Read 2652 times)
Kirsten
Lurker

« on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »

I read Jeff Galloway's book and thought since I'm just getting back into running I'd give it a try.  I am walking for 1 minute at the beginning of each mile.  At first it was great because I was running on an indoor track and I really was able to run faster,  but since I've been on the road the last few weeks,  I'm actually running slower. (I really think it's all mental at this point).  What are your thoughts on this type of program?  Should I go back to running straight through?
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »

Kirsten, one of our bloggers, Snoqualmie: http://snoqualmie.fastrunningblog.com/, would probably be happy to  answer this question for you --  I would suggest you post to her blog or send her a Personal Message.

Welcome back to running and good luck, we are all looking forward to following your success!
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:15:26 pm »

I encourage you to combine running and walking.  You don't have to get too technical with it either.  Just break into a walk when you tire or something doesn't feel right.  Once things feel normal ease back into a running stride again.  Over time you will become stronger and the walking breaks will become fewer and shorter.  Let time dictate your workouts and not distance until you've gotten to the point of running only.  Even then you can still use time.  However, keep the walk breaks in mind whenever you feel out of sorts or overcoming an injury no matter how strong of a runner you later become.  Walking breaks build patience that your body will appreciate.   
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:41:29 pm »

Walking/running is good for people that cannot run at 10:00 pace without going out of breath quickly. They have a problem. To develop endurance they need to run at 10:00 pace or faster. Going slower does not develop it very fast, even when the pace is sustainable for only a minute. So running/walking provides a nice workaround. However, once 10:00 pace becomes sustainable, walking is a waste of time.
Carter
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »

If you are being active and not watching TV, your are doing the right thing! Just get busy and the rest will come.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: