Fast Running Blog
July 04, 2024, 12:52:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running on Vacation  (Read 4460 times)
Chad
Lurker

« on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:16 pm »

I will be on vacation for about 10 days at the beginning of July.  How do people find time, find routes, get away from family for an hour two, etc.  In the past I haven't run nearly as much on vacation, if at all.  It's obviously very difficult to make up for 10 days of lost runs.  Any suggestions?
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:05:20 pm »

I get up early and get out the door and back usually before the family even realizes I am gone!  As for routes, depending on where you are heading, there are resources on the like America's Running Routes on the USATF homepage.   Also, I just use it as a time to scout out the places that I am visiting and enjoy the unknown nature of the run! 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:48:36 pm »

Google Maps with Street View could be of help.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:50:43 pm »

Yes, google maps is a great resource. If you've got a garmin or other mileage tracking device that's very helpful. Or a treadmill if its available. As for finding time and getting away, I make it known to my spouse the importance of continued training and the family is usually very accomodating to me getting away for a bit each day to train.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

Chad,

I agree with jtshad.  I find that if I don't get up and get out the door while the family is still sleeping it becomes very difficult to get out during the rest of the day.  When we were in Orlando I woke up a 5:30 am to go out and get my run in.  As for routes I scanned the area as soon as the shuttle bus got close to the hotel.  I was able to map out a good route just by that.  You can also ask the front desk if you are staying at a hotel or resort.  Stay committed and you will find a way!

Have fun on vacation!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:03 pm »

Google maps has a "bicycling" option under the "More" button- shows bike routes.  Those can be good.  I also google search for running trails, state parks, etc.  And I definitely do the runs early morning before the family is awake.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »

Just be careful when you use Google.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15199273
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:21 pm »

Let me be the third to say get up early and you will be back as they wake. Google is an option but depending on where you are staying they may already have a biking/running path already there. Sometimes I look for golf courses to run and circle around- those neighborhoods are generally decent.
When I stay at a hotel, I simply ask someone who works there.
Also, if you are driving and have a gps- you can have it locate a nearby park as well.

Have a great vaca!
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:17 am »

I try to leave before anyone else is up. Sometimes I am even back before they wake if I get a really early start. I don't worry too much about the route. I just wear my garmin and go out 4 or 5 miles and back. I'll be doing this next month in PV.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Chad
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 05:56:43 pm »

I like the USATF routes feature.  I found some good possibilities that I would have missed by just looking at google maps.  I think the thing I am most worried about is getting up early and running 8 miles then driving for 10 hours.  I'll obviously have to watch out for fatigue.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:22:42 pm »

If you travel by motorcycle it's a lot easier to stay awake on those long road trips, even after an early 10 miler Smiley
I'm sure you'll have a great time. I love running in new places. I'm really looking forward to running in PV next month. I've been there a few times before, but not since I started running.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: