Fast Running Blog
June 25, 2024, 01:07:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mesquite Marathon Nov 21  (Read 10411 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:26 am »

Thats some great journalism there...
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:58 am »

Hey, controversy sells.  LOL.
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 11:28:30 am »

2009 results are now posted
(age division results will be posted shortly)

I was held up by traffic for nearly 2 hours at I-15, otherwise I would have broken 2:00... ; p

Seriously... I don't recall any traffic control at the I-15 off-ramps in Beaver Dam (not saying there wasn't any, I just don't remember)... I also don't recall any crossing traffic... The only times I had to stop were at aid stations while waiting for cups to be filled... that can easily be solved by a bit more guidance and a few pitchers or jugs.

One aid station was out of water by the time I passed (not even mid-pack), thankfully the weather was cooperating and aid stations were only 2 miles apart.

Overall, I loved the race, especially since the start/finish were 3.2 miles from home... ; )
- Weather could not have been more perfect!!!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 11:25:04 am »

Yeah I knew it was going to be a rough course... but I was floored to see someone ran a 2:19 there yesterday. Crazy for that course. I don't even want to guess what that would boil out to on STG with good conditions. Anyways it was a great day. I stopped by the finish on my way to Vegas and conditions couldn't have been better. It must have felt great to the runners from cold parts of the world.
The 1:12 half winner walked away with an easy $1,000. I'm guessing there are 10 guys on this blog who could have won that race... not me in this shape but many others.

I Athlink'ed the winner. He's run ~28:45 at Peachtree 10K, multi NCAA All American, low-1:06 in the half, top-20 a few times at Bix 7, sub-45:00 for 15K, and 2:18:34 at Twin Cities Marathon this past October (10th place). TCM is not an easy course either, but gives some comparison.

The Kenyan guy (who everyone assumed would win, just b/c he's Kenyan...) is the same guy who took 3rd at TOU this year. Super-nice guy, loves Utah (so not surprised to see him back). He has run 2:18:30 at Memphis, but that was back in 2005, and he hasn't broke 2:28 since then. His 2:31 at Mesquite was about 3 minutes slower than TOU, and in line with his other marathons over the past several years.

The half marathon winner has run low-15 for 5K, not a bad runner. I imagine he was loafing since no one was challenging him.
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 11:42:17 am »

I knew Sammy was the one that finished 3rd in TOU.  At least it wasn't Josphat coming back to put the moves on bec again.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 02:06:38 pm »

Seriously... I don't recall any traffic control at the I-15 off-ramps in Beaver Dam (not saying there wasn't any, I just don't remember)... I also don't recall any crossing traffic... The only times I had to stop were at aid stations while waiting for cups to be filled... that can easily be solved by a bit more guidance and a few pitchers or jugs.

And crossing those dang cattle guards, I hate those in races.  I don't remember any traffic control there either, and I remember thinking I hope there are no cars coming cause I don't want to stop for any.
I just have to say this was one tuff cookie.
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

My experience was similar to most. I did notice a few times from mile 11 through 14 or so that traffic was not looking out for runners. I had a truck cut me off because he was looking to turn right and was only looking for cars. He took off just ahead of me and I had to slow down...I was watching him close and could tell he had no idea I was there. Other traffic issues was on mile through 19 cars coming at you would not want to share the road. It was as if they were upset that you were on the road.

Overall I loved the race. I was one of the few who had a solid PR. It showed me how badly I have run my past marathons..... I am not sure if I will run this one again because I really don't think that I could run it any faster than I did. I count this race as one of those when the planets all line up and everything just falls into place. I have been racing to get my Boston and did it on the hardest course I have run.
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 02:29:02 pm »

Scott, you are an animal.  My guess was that you sold your soul to the devil.  Have you been experiencing boils, plagues of locusts, or leprosy lately?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »

With all the feedback maybe the route will be adjusted to more of a BQ advantage.  You really have to have a good strategy running a race with this type of course route.
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 01:55:06 pm »

Well, the winner must have had a pretty good plan.  I'm still in awe of his time on that course.  This only being his 2nd marathon, I wonder if he knows how good he is.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: