Fast Running Blog
June 04, 2024, 07:24:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P90x for runners?  (Read 7386 times)
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« on: November 24, 2009, 05:13:42 pm »

Has anyone done the p90x workout routine? I am contrmplating making it part of my routine to help strengthen areas that running alone doesn't address but would benefit from. I've heard it's insane but wanted to know if other runners had tried it and/or incorporated it into their overall fitness routine. Did it help or hurt your running?
James Holt
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »

Ive got it but havent started using it yet. Even if it doesnt help the running it would be nice to be a bit more toned (for the ladies). Wink I'll have to get going on it and let you know what happens.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:52:47 pm »

I've never done it, but I know Coach Weber (who is an ultramarathoner coach with many elites to his name) has many of his runners do it.  Thinks it helps a ton with core strength, etc.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »

McKenzie, one of my running buddies, is doing it and started at the end of October.  It'll take some time to see if/how much it benefits her. If you go through all of the 12 (I think?) workouts, then you are spending a lot of time for your strengthening routine, but I'd think that if you chose the 4 best ones for runners, you might benefit from it. McKenzie's blog is http://mac.fastrunningblog.com/.
James Winzenz

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:06 pm »

It's totally insane.  I started doing it in October, and have definitely noticed changes.  I feel like it is actually improving my running because it is working out muscles I don't have the chance to work out from running - even muscles in my legs, leading to a more efficient stride.  There are also different options if you don't want to gain muscle mass.  The Ab Ripper X alone is almost worth the cost of the program.  That is some hard-core stuff.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:09:41 pm by James Winzenz » Logged
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:08 pm »

So last night was night #4. Yoga...I wrote about this in my daily blog entry. It kicked my butt.

I'm doing the "Lean" version of the P90x program as it seems more in line with what I need to improve on as a runner. The only tweak I might make is dropping the "Cardio" workout they have and adding in the Plyometrics workout. Plyos are a must for strong calves.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 01:26:36 pm »

Let us know what you think.  And we want to see "Before/After" photos with a huge gut, and then with ripped abs like they do on TV.
James Winzenz

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

Honestly, I think that the Plyo workout kills my quads, hamstrings and glutes more than it does my calves.  But that could just be me.  Yoga is just too long for me - I don't have 1 1/2 hours in the morning to do the whole routine, but I agree it kicks your butt.
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:55 pm »

I have a friend on Facebook that did it and would post updates pretty much every day.  He also had one of those Nike chips that syncs to his FB, so I could see his pace he was running every day.  His times were gettting better and better each day.  He just had a 30 min. PR in his marathon in Vegas.  I saw his before and after pics, too, and there is a big difference.
All that being said, he wasn't really ripped beforehand, nor was he a 3:24 marathoner.  So a guy like you Sean, who is a 2:20 marathoner and has muscles ripping out of his shirt may not see as noticeable results as he did.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: