Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 08:49:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Recovery  (Read 5269 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: May 01, 2009, 02:22:08 pm »

Am I the only one who hasn't started running yet after they Boston? I've been cautious about when to return to running as I returned after last year's marathon after 8 days and ran myself into joint inflimation 3 weeks later that put me down for 6 weeks. My plan is to start back up on Monday, giving me 13 days off. What are the rest of you doing?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:11:58 pm »

Ryan Hall takes 2 full weeks off after his marathons.  If it works for him, I think your 13 days should work for you.  But everyone is different- Sasha doesn't take any time off, usually.  Better to err on the conservative side, though.
TODD KELLY
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:43:17 pm »

Hey Jonathan allen,

I did not see you at the striders 30k.  Were you there?  Hey I need some help I am running the Ogden Marathon hoping for a Boston Qualify.  I need 15 minutes.  I need a 3:15 and St George was at 3:30 last Fall.  I feel really good just am wondering where I can make up that much time.  Do you think the Ogden has potential for a Boston Qualification for me?  I just signed up for this Blog stuff to get some expert advice on trying to do this.  Thanks Todd Kelly
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 04:55:46 pm »

Todd:

Speed-wise your 1:30 half in Ogden shows that 3:10 marathon could be in your shooting range. I imagine 1:30 was reached off less optimal training, if so that's even better. It would mean your true half speed is around 1:25, which makes 3:10 marathon a piece of cake if you train. Your training in the last few weeks has been reasonable, it should give you a measure of endurance to hold the speed.

Race the Fast Running Blog 5 Miler on May 9th. This should give you a decent idea of what kind of shape you are in. I'd say if you can run around 32:00, and you've trained for at least 3 months like you did in the last two weeks or close, BQ is in the shooting range.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:19 pm »

I started running almost right away, but took walking breaks the first week and still do if something doesn't feel right.  I think it all comes down to your approach to running. 
TODD KELLY
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 06:35:29 pm »

ok thanks Sasha,  I think I am ready.  but i will see how well the race goes on Saturday up North here.  Thanks for the advice.  Todd
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:29 pm »

Todd- I'll look at your training tomorrow when I have time.

No, I didn't do the 30k.  I didn't run most of that week due to an achilles injury.  Combine that with the rain and a lack of desire to drive myself to Ogden, and I just couldn't see any reasons to do it.
TODD KELLY
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:12:41 am »

Wow what a great day for running in the rain.  I did manage to get up early to run a local 5k. (pouring rain)  I ran a 20:05 and then ran a extra 10 miles after that and I did it all in the 7:00-7:20 pace.   I feel really good about the run today and was really wet from the rain after.  One question I have for you guys is When I am trying to BQ and I have a set pace that I need to be at, my problem is I take off way too fast and I feel comfortable, but I look down at the watch and I am running 6:30 pace at the start of the marathons and does that effect me towards the end when I should be staying at the pace I need every mile.  Todd
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:46:13 pm »

Starting too fast is a problem most of us has.  I have not run many marathons, but from the few long races I have done.  Starting too fast causes me to hit the wall or bonk then my pace drops by a minute or 2 per mile.  For Ogden If you are trying to run a 3:15, I am shooting for a 3:10.  A 3:10 will require a perfect conditions and perfect race.  We could run together for the first part and try and not let each other start to fast.  My fastest marathon is 3:34 so I will also be trying to brake a PR by a lot.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 02:09:58 pm »

Especially at Ogden, DON'T start too fast.  10 seconds too fast in the first mile can cause you to lose 1-2 minutes/mile or more at the end.  If anything, go out way too slow.  The first mile should feel super easy- don't get caught up in the excitement.
TODD KELLY
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 05:15:22 pm »

Thanks Matthew and Jon for your help.  I will take it all in now and stay at my pace band.  The band I have is a 3:10 band Matthew so lets do it....  I will look for you at the start.  Thanks again guys
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 06:39:40 pm »

Todd:

Check out the Ogden Course Map on the Course Tool. See more info at http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,974.0.html

Get the splits from the Course Tool for you pace band from the Course Tool using suggested options and adjustments. Pace yourself for 3:08. Use the painted road mile marks (which is not necessarily where they will have official mile posts, the mile posts can be easily moved, the painted marks not so easily ). Never pay attention to GPS immediate pace, it could be off by as much as 30 seconds a mile. Quarter splits on the Garmin could be helpful, but could be misleading. I would say they are helpful 80% of the time, so take them with a grain of salt.

Follow the pacing religiously through the first half. In the second half, just run, do not worry about hitting splits. Try to do the next mile as fast as you can while still relaxed, then one more, one more, one more. First half can be planned, second is a gift of God. You can prepare for and plan for the second half all you want, but even with the best preparation and planning, it still happens differently (usually worse) than you planned it.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 07:57:57 am »

Great advice for Ogden so far.  In the second half, attack the hill that starts about 14M and run strong but don't push really hard, just nice and strong.  Run controlled past the dam then use the downhill to 23M for all its worth, running strong and controlled.  The last 3M are just a mental challenge and you will slow but just try to stay focused.  The rolling winding path congested with HM'ers is challenging mentally.  Once you hit Grant St, focus on staying strong (it is hard, the finish line never seems to get closer) and cruise home to your BQ!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: