Fast Running Blog
May 04, 2024, 04:02:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: $ devine racing $  (Read 13278 times)
allie
Posting Member

« on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:06 pm »

story about devine's money troubles was on ksl news tonight. it said the winners weren't paid for 10 months...doesn't seem fair considering the time value of money. i know they have had problems but i wasn't aware it was this bad.  if the money doesn't exist to give the prize, it shouldn't be offered.

link from the website:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6093390

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:06:49 am »

Sad.  We had this exact discussion last year when the winners and vendors weren't paid:
http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,340.0.html

At this point, I'm not sure why any out of town elite runners (i.e. Kenyans, etc) would even want to run a Devine race- they don't get paid for almost a year and I'm sure spend hours trying to get their money.  Plus they lowered the prize amount.  Makes you appreciate races that cut checks right at the award ceremony.

Combine this with the high registration fee, and I, for one, will NEVER run any Devine race.  Never.  Especially after finding out the owner is nothing more than a fraud and a cheat: http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/02/24/Devine&Buzil.pdf

Sad, sad, sad.  It is too bad he has decided to invade and try to ruin the otherwise wonderful running industry.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:15:33 am by Jonathan Allen » Logged
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:55:49 am »

I was going to Tevo that but didn't. I wanted to see if they interviewed any local guys we would know.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:12:09 pm »

These people are still putting on SLC right? Is it the case that the marathon and half start together? I was hoping to be able to follow a bunch of Kenyans for the first 5 miles, bummer if none decided to show.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:59 pm »

Several of my running friends and I vowed years ago that we would never run a race put on by Devine Racing.  Their attitude when they brought the Salt Lake Marathon to town and things I have heard from runners at different marathons put on by them only reinforce that decision.  I think we should all boycott the race, maybe then they would leave town.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:54 pm »

I can't imagine that these guys will stay in business that much longer. Their progressive tardiness in payments suggests financial problems are worsening. They are sure to go bankrupt soon and a lot of runners are never going to see the paychecks they earned.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:27:02 pm »

I feel kind of bad for these Kenyans who depend on their race winnings. Maybe the fed needs to bailout Devine racing, but limit their corporate pay. I kid, I kid
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:56 pm »

We want a change, but we do not want the race to leave town. All we would get is one fewer race.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 01:51:24 pm »

Here's another article about Devine not paying the bills. He's sold the LA and Vegas marathons and hopefully will SL too.  The event is good for the city and participation grows every year (in the non-marathon events).  Maybe we can all throw in a few bucks and buy it from him.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 04:51:19 pm »

How much will it cost?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:59:41 pm »

How much will it cost?

Hmmm....since it loses money every year, I won't give them any more than I have in my wallet at the time (about $3).
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 12:54:04 pm »

I, like many of you, don't want to lose the race. It has moved around a bit on the schedule, but has usually fit in well with other Utah races and it gets runners training early. Devine has caused some problems for the race that will have to be dealt with even if the FRB buys it. You may have read that South Salt Lake wants him to pay $15,000 to run through their cozy little hamlet. He has agreed to pay (which he may/may not, can/cannot do) but this sets an ugly precedence that could cause this race and many others some serious problems. A race that covers 26 miles could pass through a bunch of hamlets and SSL's demand, if repeated, could make the cost of running a marathon prohibitive. I'm sure they felt they could make this demand because everybody is already all over Devine's case. His bad faith has now introduced a new problem to the running community. Municipalities should support and even promote races. It's good for citizens. It's good for business. It's good for PR. If Devine hadn't made so many missteps already he could probably fight and win a public relations battle with SSL, but when you don't pay your bills you lose your credibility. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 01:30:49 pm »

Not to be disagreeable with my relative Fred, but based on the article, South Salt Lake isn't demanding/charging for the race to run through their town, and they aren't making money off it.  They are charging $15k to cover the OT for the police officers who have to close roads, direct traffic, etc, for the race.  As a taxpayer I only think it is fair for the runners to pay for the police OT, rather than the non-running citizen-taxpayer.  I agree cities should support races and all other public functions by minimizing red tape, but I also think the events should be paid for by participants rather than the general public.  Seems fair to me.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 04:15:09 pm »

So then do Boston/Chicago/New York and other big city marathons have their costs covered entirely or even anywhere near substantial level by runners? As large as their entry fees might seem, I still highly doubt that. What if the race directors asked their overtime to be covered by runners? What about the volunteers? We probably would not have one single race.

Runners depend on the grace of the community to have their races. The amount of grace is obviously in proportion to how the community values running. If we want more races, if we want those races to have  higher quality, we need to improve the perception of our sport. The best way to do it, in my opinion, is to get your family, friends, and even casual acquaintances to run, and not just to jog but to set a specific fitness goal. Running is best appreciated when performed.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:29:56 pm »

So then do Boston/Chicago/New York and other big city marathons have their costs covered entirely or even anywhere near substantial level by runners? As large as their entry fees might seem, I still highly doubt that.

I don't know if they pay for the cops, but these big city marathons bring huge money to these cities. Chicago probably gets 15000-20000 out of town runners who come and drop huge amounts of money in the city during their stay. The city/county/state take 11% sales tax off of all that. It's a lot of money that cound pay for the police overtime. Additionally the city gets tons of free tourism media attention.

On the other hand nobody is going to spend any money in south salt lake during the marathon weekend. It's a pure loss for them.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: