Fast Running Blog
May 04, 2024, 07:57:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: St. George training run in SLC (June 14th '08)  (Read 6559 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« on: June 12, 2008, 06:52:20 am »

June 14th at 6:00-6:15AM be at the Kmart at 2705 Parleys Way
We will leave the parking lot at 6:15AM to drive east on I80 to Exit 134 (Mountain Dell Golf Course) to start the run at ~6:30AM

I'm going to take a page from Josse's book and post a workout here. I need at least one taker that wants to run a similar pace and can have at least three people who are planning on running slower (or faster). Here is my thought. For St. George everyone has advised me that downhill training is key. To get some of this in I want to do 3-4 longer runs downhill over the next few months. My plan to accomplish this is to have a group meet in the parking lot of the Kmart on Foothill. We will then combine in a car and drive up 80 to the golf course were the SLC half marathon starts, run a warm-up up little mountain and then down Emigration canyon and back to the parking lot. I used the course tool if you want to check out the course course{Emigration Canyon} (Sasha, Not sure why my hyperlink isn't working?). It comes out to just under 15 miles with a good portion down a nice grade. I've run the SLC half the last two years and it is very easy to go much faster than pace on this stretch of road. My plan would be to have a good portion of the downhill phase of the run under 6 min pace. Then for the next couple of training runs increase the duration of MP for the run. I'll let the weather, feel, and who shoes up dictate some of the pace. Now here is the good part. Even if you don't want to run that pace you should still show up. The fastest person can be the ones to shuttle the group up Parley's. Then when the two fastest get down they can go back and get the car. The remaining people can finish up at whatever pace they want to run and their cars will be there at the end... If we get a great turn out then one person from the next pack can drive up that group etc. Due to the nature of the run I need at least one person that will be running near that pace and then the rest can go whatever is comfortable. If you are in the second, third, etc. pack don't worry about getting back to your car on your own there is only one turn on the course and that is on to Foothill. So please let me know if you are interested. My plan would be to leave the parking lot by 6:15AM. So we could get started about 6:30AM or so... I know many of you are running Heart of Holladay this Sat but if not consider this workout...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:39:18 am by Adam R Wende » Logged
Cal
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:31:49 am »

Sounds like a cool plan.  If I was in town this weekend I would take you up on it. 
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:10:21 am »

With the price of gas, there is a disincentive to be the fastest runner. . . I am thinking there should be gas money involved  Smiley
Cutika99
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:18:19 am »

I will plan on being there. Where will you meet up at Parley's -- I will probably just drive there if that's possible since I'm coming from Heber.
I'm willing to pay some gas $$ to the person driving back up -- no big deal.

Steve
Adam R Wende

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:45 am »

Michelle, So does that mean you'll be there? The drive from the Kmart to the Golf Course is only 7.2 miles so the gas cost shouldn't be too much  Smiley...
jtshad

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:43:05 am »

Sounds like some good training.  I envy all you FRBer's so close so you can train together.  I have a good hill to run here in IF as well, but end up doing it solo.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:48:33 am »

Nice plan. I'll be out of town this weekend, but would be up for it in future weeks.
Josse

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:00:58 am »

Michelle, So does that mean you'll be there? The drive from the Kmart to the Golf Course is only 7.2 miles so the gas cost shouldn't be too much  Smiley...
Michelle is racing this weekend.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:16 am »

Oops. Forgot about the 10-miler on top of the 5K. I think we have enough to get the run going, so if any of you are not racing...
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:51:51 am »

Adam - the magic works only in the blog entries and comments. Here you would have to paste the URL.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 06:59:32 pm »

It would be great to do sometime, but Josse's right, I'm racing. 

I'm way into fairness. I'm just giving a plug for fairness on the gas money bit.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 11:25:11 am »

I hate fairness - it sucks.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:35 am »

That's ok Dave. I only had one other person show up as everyone was racing today so we both had to drive the same amount... It was a great workout though and I'll plan on doing it again in 3-4 wks if anyone is interested...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: