Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 10:51:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I dare race the BolderBoulder  (Read 3247 times)
Carolyn Herlin
Lurker

« on: April 07, 2010, 05:21:53 pm »

I'm training for the Newport Oregon marathon, which is on June 5. That is my next key race. However, I've run the BolderBoulder the last 2 years and would like to run it again. It is on Memorial Day, 5 days before the Newport marathon. If I run the BolderBoulder, I will want to race it (run it as fast as I can). The BolderBoulder is a 10K. Would I be a fool to run this race 5 days before my key marathon?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »

Can you do it?  Yes.  Is it wise?  Dunno.  You have to decide which race is more important.  In my opinion, would racing the Bolder Boulder all-out affect your marathon?  Very possibly yes.  If you are willing to accept that possibility, then go for it.  If not, then I would advise against it.

For comparison sake, I do my last "workout" 4-5 days before a marathon, but my workout is 8 miles with only 2 at marathon pace.  Much easier than a 10k at race pace.  And that's coming from a base of 80-100 mile weeks. 

If you go 80-90% at BB, you would probably be ok.  But it's up to you to decide.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:14:45 am »

Somebody who runs 100 miles a week consistently and has a proven record of quick recovery might be able to get away with that. Most runners won't, though. The marathon will be 2-3 minutes slower for the average 70 miles a week guy.

You can use Bolder Boulder as a marathon pace shakeout run to calm down the nerves, though, but do not get carried away. Tell yourself there are 20 more miles to go at the same pace after you finish.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:11:01 am »

If it were me, I would skip Bolder Boulder. You can do it next year (and the next 20+ years).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: