Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 12:02:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of tempo runs for a marathon?  (Read 3779 times)
KARL H SIEBACH
Lurker

« on: April 04, 2010, 10:37:20 am »

Im training for my first marathon and need to start doing some tempo runs or speed workouts in the next couple of months and was wondering if anybody has a favorite workout they do to get ready.  I want to try to hit 2:28 or faster.  Any type or variation of workouts would help if your willing to give the help or advice.  If you don't want everybody to see you can email me at xc_is_back@yahoo.com  Thanks
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:37:26 pm »

I can only say one thing- Big Workouts. 
http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1076.0.html
KARL H SIEBACH
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »

Thanks for the advice.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:00:35 am »

Just to make note: the tempo doesn't have to be extremely hard (it can be slower than marathon pace), but it should be long. Or another good way is a progression tempo: start slower than MP and work your way up. So if you are in 2:28 shape (and judging by your recent races, you are indeed). You could start a 16 miles run at 6:15 pace, work up to 6:00 pace, then 5:45, and be hitting 5:35-5:40 during the last half or last quarter. It shouldn't kill you, and recovery should be decent. I actually find these tempos rather fun, simply because they are not very intense. But it is the time on the feet and the repeated aerobic stimulus (week after week) that really helps develop you into a lung on legs. And the gained resistance to shock and impact is very import too. I would suggest running these tempos in lightweight trainers or even flats.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:48 pm »

The magic happens in the last 3-4 miles of a 20 mile run. So something like easy 16 followed by hard 4 is almost as good as hard 15 after easy 5. But much easier to recover from, so you can do it more frequently. For a first time marathoner I would recommend the milder version even if you think you are recovering well. Not a good idea to run the tempo to a bonk - if you are bonking you went either too far or too fast.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: