Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 06:54:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training for Jacksonville  (Read 10827 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 04:27:22 pm »

At this point I would just run those 15 at a decent pace and not worry too much about if it is target marathon pace. In fact, for the next year I would just run the miles at the pace that you can handle and not worry about hitting a particular pace in any workout. Two reasons. One,  the limit is still aerobic conditioning at this point and aerobic conditioning happens at any reasonable pace. The second reason is that your fitness keeps changing very rapidly and it is impossible to hit your true 5 K, 10 K, half-marathon, or marathon pace on any given day anyway.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 04:59:04 pm »

Okay.  If I just go out there and run like you say, which is fine with me, will I be doing the same come race day?  I know that I am still a good three months away, and have a lot of training to go, but I am just trying to get an idea of how I will pace myself that day.  Or, is this something that should be looked at as I get closer to race day?  Thanks again for your advice.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 03:07:47 pm »

What you should do before the marathon is run a few tune-up races or time trials. Those will give you an idea of a good target pace in the marathon. E.g if you are able to run the half at 8:30 per mile, it is probably safe to pace yourself at 9:00 in the marathon.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:17:06 pm »

I understand.  I guess it is time then to finally pick a half marathon then.  There are a few in October to choose from.  Thanks again for the advice.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:49 am »

I am scheduled to run the Silver Comet Half Marathon this weekend to gauge what my time will be like for the marathon.  Should I be cutting back on my mileage at all this week?  I have already run Sunday and Monday, but will be resting today, since I haven't a day off since last Tuesday.  Also, should I still try and run at an 8:30 minute/ mile pace and see how I do and then if I can't maintain that pace, then slow it down?

Thanks again for the advice.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »

Jennifer:

I looked at your recent training. Yes, I think treating this race as a fast long run and trying to see how long you can hold 8:30 for is a good idea. My feeling is that you have the fitness to run that pace all the way, but it will be scary because you have not yet raced a true half. By "true" I mean that when you have enough endurance, a half feels very different. It basically becomes a long 5 K - you start breathing hard in the first half mile, your legs are moving quick, you feel pain, but your endurance carries you to the finish.

Maybe to overcome that fear try 2 miles tomorrow at 8:30 pace and keep telling yourself that you can do it for the half even if it does feel aggressive.

During the race tell yourself you get $1000 for every mile at 8:30 or faster, and 0 for anything slower. You still get paid for the fast miles even if you slow down to 12:00 in the slow miles to pay for the fast start. Trying to get as much money as you can.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 04:09:41 am »

Sounds like a plan to me.  I will try those two miles at an 8:30 pace this afternoon when I go for my run.

One more thing; should I just maintain my mileage for the rest of the week or do I need to cut back at all to rest my legs?

Thanks again.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:47:29 am »

If you feel good, maintain the mileage. Your half performance will be a bit slower, but this will help in the marathon.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: