Fast Running Blog
May 17, 2024, 08:32:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapering advice  (Read 4173 times)
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« on: June 02, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »

I'm fishing for some advice on tapering for a marathon that's still 25 days away. I have 5 solid months of training invested and just suffered a minor injury a few days ago that's got me worried a bit . I twisted my ankle (which turned out to be fine) on a run, but also pulled something in the back of my knee at the same time that I didn't feel until later in the day. It actually hurts more when I walk than when I run(I'm hoping that's a good thing). Its not severe enough to cause a limp and it's not really any worse now after doing a couple easy runs than it was initially, but it is definitely still sore. I'm resting today and tomorrow to give it a break. I'm probably more worried about it than I should be, but I'm inclined to start tapering early if I can do it in a way that won't sacrifice too much of the fitness I've worked so hard for.

http://rattletrap.fastrunningblog.com/

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:51:22 pm »

Good idea to give it a break.  Being healthy is more important than injuring yourself to "maintain fitness".

I would suggest not thinking that you are starting your taper yet.  Instead, you are doing a pre-taper taper.  The difference?  Get your knee better, then ramp up your training again, rather than continuing to taper down for all 25 days.  If your rest period is long enough right now (i.e. 5-7+ days), then I would suggest shortening your real taper, since you are giving your body a chance to rest and recover from your training right now.  In other words, get healthy (cross train if you can, or even run a bit if it doesn't make it worse... and ice, ice, ice), then increase your training to pre-injury levels, then do a slightly shortened taper.  Your injury will be gone, you will maintain/increase fitness, and your taper won't be as long due to some recent taper-like (injury) rest.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »

I think I will take Thursday off too(that will be 3 days in a row) and replace my long run on Friday with an easy 10 miler and see how I feel. Just the thought of so much rest is killing me...

-Mike

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:47:07 pm »

Have faith in your training.  You won't lose 6 months worth of work by taking 3 days off.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:27:08 am »

If you training has been there, I agree with Jon that 3 days off won't hurt your fitness (your mental stablity maybe!).
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:08:57 am »

After 3 days off, I tried a short run (4 miles) on Friday that didn't work out well. It looks like the next week or so will be nothing but PT for the leg and cross-training for cardio.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:13:13 am by Mike Davis » Logged

-Mike

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:49:19 pm »

If you are not feeling healthy, do not run the marathon. There is always a marathon to run, you do not have to run the one you planned.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:00:27 pm »

No worries there. I won't be running until there is zero pain. I plan to continue doing big cardio workouts on a machine at the Y until then. If I do get my legs back before the race, at least I won't be gasping for air.

-Mike

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: