Fast Running Blog
May 17, 2024, 08:32:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed Training  (Read 2880 times)
Gokay Yamankurt
Lurker

« on: May 23, 2008, 10:25:57 pm »

I quit smoking 3 weeks ago because I started running and they didn't go well together. But when I run a 10:00 pace, I can't keep running for a long time. I can make a mile or so. What I want to ask is if anybody knows an effective way to train to get to cover more distance at this pace, and eventually to increase the speed and hit a faster pace. I would like to run a 5K sometime soon. Running the distance isn't the problem, but only at a 12-13 min pace. I was wondering if anyone could give me some training tips that would help with speed.

Thanks.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:04 am »

Don't even worry about speed at this point.  That will come in time.  You just need to cover the distance and it really doesn't matter how fast.  Just tak on alittle more every couple of runs.  Before you know it you will be doing 10 miles at a 10 min pace.  Do your 5k at what ever pace you can.  Then do an other one at the end of this summer to see how much you have improved.  Then keep up the training and see how much you have improved this time next year.  Great job on quiting smoking and starting the path to a health life style.
Tim
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:18:51 pm »

I would have to agree with Josse.  I started running about 3 months ago to get ready to run a 7 mile race.  I was more worried about time than I was distance so my training consisted of more hard days than easy and my running wasn't consistant, well in other words, my knee hurts now and I am taking it slow.  Consistency is the key and try and run everyday (take one day off), even if it is just a mile or two to begin with, keep blogging your miles so in a couple of months you will be able to look back and see the improvements.
James Winzenz

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:33:51 am »

Keep in mind, it will take some time for the accumulated toxins to get out of your body.  I agree with the others, just give it some time.  Run at a pace that feels comfortable to you and that you can sustain for 2-3 miles.  Keep up the running 6 days a week at an easy pace, and you will be amazed at the results.  Not only will you see yourself getting faster automatically as time progresses, but you will also be helping your body to rid itself of the toxins that have accumulated.  So to echo Josse, don't worry about the speed right now - that will come with time.  It can be frustrating when you want to see some specific results right now, but you will get there if you are patient and keep it up.
adam

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:24:39 pm »

At this point in your training you just need to worry about getting in the runs. However, I would reccomend throwing in a few 10s surges (like 30-45 seconds total) into a few of your weekly runs just to mix things up a bit and fulfill your natural inclination for speed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: