Fast Running Blog
May 01, 2024, 07:17:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pain on top of foot near 1st metarsal just below big toe on rt foot only  (Read 6345 times)
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:42 am »

Not sure if it occurred from the increased mileage (last week I stretched out my weekly long run from 10-12 miles to 16.5), running on an inclined and uneven loose gravel shoulder of the road (I run on paved shoulder or in the road until forced off by traffic), or that I simply tied my rt shoe too tight.  I'm leaning toward the last option simply because the injury occurred in my rt foot only. 

Anyhoo, the pain is significant when I land more towards my toes, go downhill or land off of a curb.  I'm worried that this may be a stress fracture.  It is tender to the touch but not overwhelming by any means.  I'm going to look at some forefoot pads during lunch but I'd appreciate any advice/input.  Thanks. 
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:13:13 pm »

The length of your longer run may have been a factor, since you increased it from normal by about 40 minutes, which is significant. At 9 min pace that is about 2.5 hour run, when you normally run under two hours. Remember, you can't crash course your marathon training. Defintely don't try it again and hop up to a 21 mile run next week.

My advice would be to head off onto some grass for a few days. Find a field (even if it is small) and do your running there. That will eliminate any downhills, curbs, or shoulders that you have to deal with. With your half and the marathon coming up in less than a month, you don't want to further aggravate the situation by putting yourself into those situations that you can avoid. It can be pretty boring running loops on the grass, but your body will thank you.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:29:14 pm »

I've had foot bruises and stress fractures- difficult to tell the difference (at least until it is too late with a fracture) from my experience.  Either way, ease up a bit, run on soft, even surfaces like Adam said, and make sure your shoes aren't worn out.  If it doesn't start getting better, some non-impact cross training (elliptical, swimming) may be required.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »

The length of your longer run may have been a factor, since you increased it from normal by about 40 minutes, which is significant. At 9 min pace that is about 2.5 hour run, when you normally run under two hours. Remember, you can't crash course your marathon training. Defintely don't try it again and hop up to a 21 mile run next week.

My advice would be to head off onto some grass for a few days. Find a field (even if it is small) and do your running there. That will eliminate any downhills, curbs, or shoulders that you have to deal with. With your half and the marathon coming up in less than a month, you don't want to further aggravate the situation by putting yourself into those situations that you can avoid. It can be pretty boring running loops on the grass, but your body will thank you.

Thanks for the comments.  I visited one of our local Boise running stores this afternoon and the owner gave me some free samples of Biofreeze.  I applied it and it is unbelievable.  He also recommended skipping the affected area of my forefoot when I lace my rt shoe until it heals.  I'm going to try that out and stay on even surfaces or treadmill for a while.   Also, I think I'll scale back to a 12 or 13 mile long run this week.  Thanks again.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:40:54 pm »

Thanks for the comments.  I visited one of our local Boise running stores this afternoon and the owner gave me some free samples of Biofreeze.  I applied it and it is unbelievable. 

I use Biofreeze as well, and like it. However don't put too much stock in it. All it does is mask the pain, and doesn't do anything to actually heal it. So it is good for general discomfort, but will do absolutely nothing for a true injury.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:54:22 am »

Update:  Ran a little over 4 miles yesterday.  I bypassed the laces near the affected area on the top of my foot and the result was dramatic.  My foot was a little sore but not even close to what it was.  In fact, it feels pretty close to normal this morning.  It took some getting used to the looser fit but once I did it was really nice to be able to take my focus away from how I was landing to just running.  Thanks for everyone's input and advice. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: