Fast Running Blog
May 01, 2024, 06:52:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Explanation of Gua Sha or Scraping  (Read 19894 times)
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« on: May 01, 2008, 05:58:42 pm »

Introduction
Gua Sha is a traditional Chinese technique that involes applying the edge of a special tool to the skin in a scraping motion.  "Gua" means--scrape, "Sha" means--sand.  "Sand in this context refers to a rough, irregular texture that can be felt easily by a the person doing the scraping as the edge of the tool moves asross injured or chronically painful tissue.

During treatment, the skin over the treated area will generally become red, forming petechiae.  These are pin sized red dots resulting from micro bruising.  This is perceived as a positive sign.  Traiditional  practictioners see the appearance to fthe redness or "sha" as a release of toxins and stagnant blood,  allowing "chi" or life inergy to flow freely through affected tissues.

Theory
Breaking down irregular collagen fibers, or scar tissue, decreasing pain and improved range of motion are likely the major benifits from this treatment.

From a western perspective, the petchiae and breaking down of the collagen fibers causes an increased healing response in the body sending in macrophanges to "clean up" and remove cellular debris and fiberoblasts to repair soft tissue.

Normal reaction to treatment
During the first minutes of treantment, a mild skin redness occurs as the tools edge stimulates capillary dilation.  After a loger period you may experience warmth, petechiae (the rash like area of small, possibly raised dots) and possible tenderness.  Petechiae and tenderness to the touch can persist for several days after treatment.  In rare cases petechiae or bruising may be permanent.

For any one wanting more info or would like to be scraped or learn how to do this technique themself I am willing to help, just ask.   You can see or purchase the tools at www.guashaorthopedic.com

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:57:32 pm by Josse » Logged
Jody Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:04:55 pm »

I had Josse scrap me today and I am very happy with the results.   She did a great job showing me how to do it and explaining the technique and theory behind it.  I would recomend it to any one struggling with an injury!
Adam R Wende

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:34:03 am »

I've also had this done by a PT for IT related issues with an improvement noticed afterwards. I've also improvised after a race and just used a gatorade bottle to self-treat with a noticeable decrease in tightness in the area.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:17:16 pm »

Hey Josse- what is your opinion of The Stick?  How does it compare to scraping?  I was thinking of buying one but wanted your opinion.
Josse

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:44:30 pm »

I like a rolling pin better.  The stick has to much give to it, and I prefer the gua sha tool over both of them.  I would spend my money on a good rolling pin and the gua sha tools, I can teach you how to use them both. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:55:36 pm »

Rolling pin, as in what you use in the kitchen?
Josse

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:18:31 am »

Yes thats the one.  Cheaper too.
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 12:29:29 pm »

For me, they are used for completely different purposes.  I use the stick for deep tissue issues/massage and the scraping tools for more surface issues.  Now, I know that many times, they are the same thing.  I like my stick, but I would say the better buy would be the scarping tools.  Main reason is that just as Josse said, you can substitute items in place of the stick a bit easier.
My ITB has shown significant improvement since purchasing and using the Gua Sha tools.  I recommend it.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:17 pm »

Ya Cody- good explanation. I was just thinking about this last night. I was using the stick on my quads and upper-calves, which was good for a general loosening of the muscles. Then I got the gua sha tools out and went to work on the achilles area for some detailed work. Trying to use the stick on that area just applies pressure to it and hurts. There isn't enough "meat" there for the stick to work on.
Josse

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:58:09 pm »

I being a massage therapist, love the working out of the muscles.  But the Gua sha tool brings the breakdown, cleaning out, and healing to a differant level.  I have never seen results with massage that I have seen with Gua sha.  I see better results on myself with Gua sha than I ever did with a rolling pin or the stick. 
adam

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

Yeah, this stuff really does work. It is much, much better than the stick. That doesnt even compare to the awesomeness of the scraping.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:47 pm »

Alright you sold me. I just bought the set.
adam

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 08:06:44 pm »

josse have you had any expierence with A STYM?
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 08:57:18 pm »

Adam - shouldn't that question be in a new topic?  I think that merits it's own title for future reference.
Josse

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 10:01:38 pm »

josse have you had any expierence with A STYM?
Aystm is the basically the same as Gua Sha, it is where Aystm came form.  It is where I learned Gua sha.  I had it done for tendonitis.  The PT used the tools I have and actually likes them better than the Aystm tools  (I am assuming you mean Aystm-what PT do.  It took me a minute to figure out what you ment)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: