Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 10:16:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need wardrobe help!  (Read 4019 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: October 16, 2009, 09:47:43 am »

I have a marathon this weekend and the current weather report shows high 30's with 15-20 mph winds and rain.  What does one wear in that type of environment?  I'm bringing a whole duffle bag full of options in order to allow a list minute decision.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:56:30 am »

Ouch.

If it stays in the high 30s, I'd consider a thin pair of tights.  I've run in the CW-X compression tights in half's before, and they're decent in the rain since they don't soak up much water.  Plus, they help take the bite out of the wind on your legs.

Whatever shirt you're comfortable running in when it's soaked.  I'd probably go short sleeved with something over it that you can cast aside once you've warmed up.  Maybe someone who's used arm gloves can comment....they might be useful here. 

Thin socks so they don't trap/carry as much water.

Plenty of body-glide for all those spots that'll be rubbed raw when they get wet!

Good luck.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:59:25 am »

The legs will stay warm on their own. However, the chest needs to be covered the best way possible. I would just wear shorts and a long sleeved shirt possibly with something underneath it.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:06 pm »

I thought you were going to ask which shoes to wear with your new shirt or something  Wink

I agree with Sasha, I usually dont wear tights in a race (unless it happened to be below 25F) -- I have worn a short sleeve technical shirts in a 25F race and felt really comfortable by mile 2 (I did wear gloves the whole race, and tucked my ear band into the waist of my shorts about mile 6) ... the arm warmers that cyclists use would be awesome ...

Good luck Dave!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:56:06 pm by Bonnie » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »

For the weight, I always like a beanie and gloves for warmth.
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »

Perhaps a rain resistant cycling vest?
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1009601_-1___

Which I'd match up with a rain resistant ball cap (I wear glasses) and polypro glove liners.

Vaseline on feet and front of thighs?

Agree with lots of body glide for chaff areas (I often carry a "sample" for emergencies)...
- Nipples?.. Hope body glide is enough.. perhaps pre-tape?

Or spray entire outfit with Scotchguard (after you dress)... ; p
- The last time I ran in the rain it was a 24-hour race, so full body armour was in order....

Have fun...
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:00 pm »

Thanks folks for the helpful responses.  It ended up being a worse case scenerio- high 30's, steady rain, and even a bit of wind to help add to our "comfort".  For the record, I wore shorts, short sleeve shirt, arm sleeves, and beenie.  Everthing stayed relatively "comfortable" except for my feet.  They not only went numb by mile 13 or 14, but my right shoe insert slipped out on mile 16 (turned completely sideways) and the heal of my insert could be seen crawling up over my ankle.  It stayed that way for the last 10 miles.  Not sure at that point how I could have effectively corrected the situation, so just kept running. 

It was still a good experience and again, thanks for the feedback!
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:59:49 pm »

Holy Cow!!

Did you PR?? ... ; )
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »

Gary, I actually did (by like a minute), but my pace immediately shifted from 7min miles to 7:20/25 when the insert came undone.  Figure it will just leave more cushion for future pr's...btw- was that you who did the 100mile ultra?  If so, wow!!  Great work!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: