Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 01:47:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Poll
Question: Is it?
CC
XC
What are you talking about?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Very important question!  (Read 11487 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« on: December 13, 2007, 09:12:16 pm »

This caused many an arguement in college...
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:04:52 pm »

I used to hate XC, preferring CC.  Now I have switched.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:48:28 am »

When I was in high school 1984 - 1988 it was CC, with an arrow through the letters.  But over the years as I would read articles in the paper I noticed it had become XC.  I have moved to an area without Cross Country so I do not know what is generally accepted nowadays.  I also do not know if different areas of the country use one over the other.  I live in Virginia and I have seen both over the years.  But I voted for CC because that is what is printed on the old sweatshirt I still have from high school.

Adam R Wende

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 06:02:00 am »

Scott, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of cross-country in your area. Jon, I'm actually the opposite of you. In high school it was XC for me then in college it became CC. Partly I didn't like the connection of XC to X-mas versus Christmas. Partly because my roommate and I had a plate that had broken in half from the weight room. It broke so that when you flipped it, it looked like CC. We hung the pieces on our "running wall" in our dorm room and from then on it was CC to me...
Chris Weidman
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:14:04 am »

It was CC with an arrow through it for me as well ('76-80) and I believe it's more XC now - Hopefully Dave Holt and Jeff F can set us straight on the current.

Pain of Discipline or Pain of Regret
You Choose!
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:40:00 am »

Sorry no clear cut answer here.  As with most, this was a big debate in high school - CC was the abb. but X-Country was also accepted (But NOT XC!).  As a coach, I have always put CC on our stuff.  Now, however, the team has adopted a cheer that says "XC" in it and some confusion has come about because CC stands for one of our biggest rivals, Cedar City.  So I thought about moving to PVXC for our gear, but it is hard to go against what I was brought up with!  Huh?
But that is a "Very important questions!"!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:29:01 am »

XC, because it looks tougher! Nothing more frightening that the letter "X"...
Logan Fielding
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:31:21 am »

Another important question: Is it X-mas or Christmas?  I have always used Christmas rather than the other.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:46:04 am »

Paul does make a good point. I think I big bold letters accross the back of your shirt XC!!! Would send me running the other way  Wink
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:02:40 am »

Another important question: Is it X-mas or Christmas?  I have always used Christmas rather than the other.

Christmas. For the same reason. Don't want to associate Jesus with the letter "X". Rather disrespectful too.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:10:43 am »

I agree with Paul. I've always thought of it as X-mas crossing the Christ out of the day...
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 10:29:13 am »

I hate when people write x-mas, even when they might not understand what that sybmbolizes.  It is bad enough that we have taken God out of everything else, and then we try to take Christ out of a day that was set up to remember him.  Without Christ in Christmas it becomes only a selfish and commercialized day.  Hopefully we don't do that even by accident or because of laziness.

As for Cross Country I have used both XC and CC.  I think it depends on you and other schools around.  We used CC at Bear River, but if I were in Dave's shoes I would probably use XC as not to be confused with Cedar.  I switch preferences now and then.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 10:33:40 am »

Christmas.
James Winzenz

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 10:59:20 am »

Paul's comment reminded me of a youth activity when I was a teen where we baked and decorated cookies, then went out and gave them to all the neighbors on the street where our church was.  Once or twice, someone in our group said "Merry X-Mas", and we ended up discussing why we should not say it.  I agree that we should refer to the holiday as Christmas to remember that it is truly about Christ and celebrating His birth, and not about anything else.  BTW, I voted for XC, 'cuz it sounded badder.   Cool
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 11:10:13 am »

I think I've been convinced to go with XC from now on. 
And of course, Christmas always.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: