Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 09:57:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston workouts  (Read 2548 times)
Amy
Lurker

« on: October 19, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »

Trying to qualify for Boston....UGGGHH This will be my 8th marathon. I have chosen Philly (flat and fast). My fastest was a 4:02 in VA Beach. Anyone have any suggestions for increase in speed? Also everyone says my longer runs should be slow and I have a hard time doing so. HELP. I need a 3:45 to qualify.  Grin
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:25:19 pm »

Amy:

A runner who does not train at least 6 days a week and does not run at least 60 miles a week is rarely limited by his speed. In fact, he has plenty to achieve his dream goal.  The limit is fuel and aerobic conditioning.

The fix is to start running 6 days a week immediately covering a comfortable distance at a comfortable pace, and gradually increase it until running 10 miles at once is no big deal. For the average runner this method produces about a 30-40 minute improvement in the marathon in the course of a year.

There are gotcha's/fine print. Do not increase the mileage too fast. Do not push the pace beyond what is natural. Increase the amount of sleep. Eat a healthy diet. Avoid stress.  Do not skip days and then make up.

Amy
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:04:28 pm »

Thank you. Very good words of wisdom. I have a year and there is no time like the present to begin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: