Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 10:37:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat Races In Utah (ha ha) - tentative race schedule  (Read 15249 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:50 am »

Clyde's free time completely disappears in the next month. I think the burden falls completely to Logan. :-)

I would think early December might work for timing, since you wouldn't want to conflict with SGM or with hot weather. Mid-winter doesn't work, because most people living in the inter-mountain West are not in great shape due to bad weather and roads. That just leaves early winter or early spring. Early spring would conflict with Boston and SLC (for whatever that's worth). First Saturday of December perhaps is best for both weather and lack of conflicts?? We usually have pretty good weather state-wide through November, so it would be pretty easy to keep up training and hit a peak for this time of year.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:54 am »

Clyde will have plenty of time while the baby is sleeping.  Give me any routes you have in mind, I spend many hours driving around St. George while doing Driver's Education.  I'm always looking for a way to make the time go by faster.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 12:04:04 pm »

Paul you got it right on the time of year. We were thinking late November or early December. Also that would be the plan to kind of get it rolling low key this year and kind of do a trial run with mostly bloggers. Then make some changes and really push it the next year. I have some time to spend I just need motivation to work on tedious things.
Dustin- Some of the course may be on the trial system so the drivers ed car might not be a good choice:)
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 12:17:24 pm »

Hey we take that car all over the place , I could just say some kid didn't know what he was doing.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 08:43:12 am »

I would love to see a race with a qualifying standard between Boston and the trials. I think a lot of people would turn out.

I don't know if you will be able to convince many quality runners to run a race at elevation. 2800 feet may sound like nothing if you live in Utah, but anyone that doesn't live at sea level would still feel the effects. A gradual drop would offset this somewhat, although it's tough to create a course that actually drops gradually. 

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 12:43:50 pm »

Let's keep it simple. I can design the course. Somebody in St. George could ride/run it to make sure it is the best. Then we need somebody to certify it. I expect it not to take too much time due to the fact that it is going to go around the same loop several times.

Like I said earlier, I do not necessarily want it to become a big race. Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, there is nothing in the qualification rules that says you cannot certify a course yourself, and qualify racing your training partner. I imagine witnesses from USATF could be required, but this should not be a problem. We should not have too hard of a time getting somebody to watch it for a free trip to St. George. We may need to get USATF sanction which would cost a few bucks, but we can handle that. Maybe they'd give us a quantity discount.

I am looking at the smallest possible scale event. Anybody who knows anything about marathons will tell you it is a big challenge to be ready to race at top capacity on one particular day. That one particular day could be a bummer day. A week later you could run much better. Racing away from home is also less than ideal. Thus we need a perfect home course where we can try many times. Let us not forget, this is the most important factor. The smaller the scale of the race, the more times we can hold it, the more likely we are to see somebody from the blog qualify.

Having 10 guys that can make it to the half on pace and are willing to run even would be more than you would get in most marathons anyway.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:15 pm »

Simple is good, but just don't forget to leave out the race day magic. Races need to be special; when races are reduced to just a time trials with your buddies, the magic is gone. Personally, I run dead flat in situations like that.

The point is, there's more to a race than a route, and more to qualifying than just doing good training and finding a good course with good weather. Don't underestimate the intangibles.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:58 pm »

Our vision is to create something a little different. It may never get very big but it would still be a special event. Where runners would have something to shoot for between Boston and a OTQ. That being said we still will try to keep it fairly simple at least the first few years for sure. Right now one of our struggles is to find a good place to start and finish the race that would have ample parking, and other space for the start and stop of a race. Once we agree on a place then the course will flow from there. As I mentioned before it would be really good to get the city of Washington on board as opposed to trying to fight them. Like the old song says "I fought the law and the law won".
Nathan Bundy
Lurker

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 11:24:45 pm »

Well I am very interested in doing what I can to help... Let me know what you want me to do Clyde and I will do it if I can. You be the idea man and I will be the tedious task man.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: