Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 11:11:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ryan Hall  (Read 17210 times)
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 04:44:11 pm »

... I am a Ritz fan -- so I have to chime in "so is Ritz" (a marathon rookie).

Maria Imas
Lurker

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

There is definitely truth in the fact that taller runners suffer more in the heat. But to extrapolate this to the hair color is a bit too much, I think. At least I'm not aware of any scientific studies that confirm this. See this report for discussion on runner size vs. heat subject (there is a link to the detailed discussion within the report):
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/08/beijing-2008-men-marathon-report.html
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 08:32:48 am »

That is a good link, Maria.  I read that article earlier this year, too, and really like it.  Although I think it is mass (weight) rather than height that is the important factor, though certainly taller runners usually weigh more.  Extrapolating to skin color or hair color is outside the scope, I agree.  Except if skin color means you come from the East African Rift valley and hence have amazing genetics and are likely shorter/smaller.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 02:47:16 pm »

And, you can always dye your hair to get it darker.  Would Just for Men Gel get on the list of banned substances?
jtshad

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 02:53:06 pm »

And, you can always dye your hair to get it darker.  Would Just for Men Gel get on the list of banned substances?

Only in the court of public humilation!  I had a HS teacher who used this stuff.  Friday, grey hair...Monday brown hair and a brown bead of sweat rolling down his face after writing furiously on the chalkboard!  LOL!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 04:31:18 pm »

Gharib was the second tallest in the top 10 (5-9), and the heaviest (145lb). This guy is chunky for a marathoner, chunkier than me (5-10, 145). Yet Gharib was only 13 seconds off his PR (2:07:02). His true PR is probably a little higher, maybe a low 2:06/high 2:05, but still even then it makes it only a minute. Clearly there is more than weight/height that affects heat tolerance. One thing I've noticed  that  Moroccan, Kenyan, and Ethiopian runners often are able to run within 2 minutes of their PR in conditions that slow down Caucasian runners of any size from anywhere between 4 minutes and infinity.  I also noticed that a more Moroccan-looking Caucasian runner (Ritz and Rothlin would fit into that category) runs very decent in the heat as well, although not as well as a true Moroccan.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49:19 pm »

I wonder how much of it was psychological? Who got intimidated by the heat, vs. who just went for broke anyway, without fear.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 05:22:23 pm »

Near zero. Your attitude during the race is in a state of flux, and responds to the feedback from the body. If you are more fit than you think, your body will cheer you up and tell you to go faster. If you are less fit than you think your body will demand that you slow down and if you do not obey it will eventually rebel to the point that you really have to slow down.

I've had it happen just about every way. Optimistic from the gun, good race. Optimistic from the gun, bad race. Pessimistic from the gun, bad race. Pessimistic from the gun, good race. You cannot force something that is not there. At the same time, short of a conscious  decision to fail (blatant self-sabotage), as in purposely slow down or stop and walk to let a competitor pass you, it is next to impossible to hide your fitness even if you do not start the race exceptionally motivated. How many times have you heard a competitor say he was not feeling good at the start and was just hoping to make it to the end only find him gap you by a large margin at the finish with a PR?
adam

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 10:51:07 am »

Ryan Hall gives his explanation: http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2008/08/ryan-hall-post-olympic-blog-entry/
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 11:35:37 pm »

The American's achieved a great accomplishment, and they had a set plan to run at their own pace in these conditions.  I don't think Ryan Hall would have finished 10th if he would have went out with the front pack.  He's still learning how to run marathon's and once he gets a few more in, who knows what he could do in the 2012 Olympics.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 08:00:19 am »

Wow!  Every time I see something or read something about Ryan Hall I am inspired!  Reading this entry brings tears to my eyes!  Thanks for posting this link Adam.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 08:02:09 am »

Ooops!  This is really Kim.  That last entry was me.  Tom must have been logged on on my computer and I didn't notice.  I don't want anyone thinking Tom was getting too sentimental about Ryan Hall here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: