Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 08:08:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Poll
Question: How accurate does your mileage have to be?
Mileage? I’m a free spirit.
Nearest mile is fine.
Round to the half mile.
Whatever my Garmin tells me.
I don’t run a step unless it is on a track.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mileage  (Read 15178 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 08:55:05 pm »

James/Scott,
Thanks for the Google Earth heads up. That is a good toy.
Jon,
I know we spoke about slaves to Garmins before. That is part of the reason why I wanted this post. That and to pick on the guys posting their mileage to the tenth of the mile. However, I have a confession. My name is Adam Wende and I am a Garmin addict. I will admit that I've circled in front of my house to get to that magic mile mark. But admitting you have a problem is the first step...

I try to only look at the Garmin when it beeps each mile. If I'm doing a workout I tend to look a little more frequently. However, as with most my main thing is looking post-run and at averages etc...
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 10:43:07 pm »

Adam,
Thanks for posting this, I was hoping that someone else would do it besides me.  I have noticed it has become quite an issue after looking at all the funky mileage postings on the mileage board the last few weeks.  I think that Paul and Jon are is right.    I think if It came down to it I would round to the nearest tenth not the hundredth, I just always make sure that my runs are on the mile or the half mile so I don't have to worry about it.  It is the hundredth stuff that everone does that drives me crazy!  I have been riding some of the bloggers about it as of late because it can be so overboard.  Not that I am on the mileage board that often, but when I am I notice that there is often about 4 people with similar mileage but this how it looks: 
Blogger 1: 40.15
Blogger 2: 40:04
Me :        40.00
Blogger 3: 39.94
I mean common people, that sure looks like 4 people ran 40.00 to me. 
I wear my Garmin about half the time and and only on runs that I haven't run before or might be changed a bit.  If I know the distance I will just wear my watch, which I usually don't even look at until I get done.  I do go naked on some easy runs too.  I have worn it in one race and probably won't do it again.  If I do look at my Garmin it isn't every mile, and I don't ever look at pace unless it is overall pace.  On my run today I did add on a block so my Garmin would record my last mile because I was doing a tempo mile, otherwise I would have called it good.  I just think we get too picky about things and need to enjoy ourselves more and not worry about every hundredth of a mile.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:11:15 am »

Why does it matter that someone likes to keep track of his/her mileage more specifically than you?  It sounds like some people are trying to pick on others that like to keep very precise #'s for THEMSELVES.  Why?
Adam R Wende

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 08:31:36 am »

Dave,
Don’t take this discussion personally. First, if the Garmin gives the number to that decimal place there is no reason not to put it down. Second, almost all runners I know are compulsive to some degree so I too am guilty of locking into some arbitrary number. Dale put it best “Consistency is the key in my mind.” That being said I don’t see any problem with it. But I started as a watch runner, with no recorded mileage, then went to consistent loops, now the Garmin, so I sometimes have to chuckle when I see a hundredth mile specificity because I’m sure I’m only a few months away from doing it myself... It is nothing against the person doing it. More so pointing out what is important in a persons training and how different people view that measure. My friend Dennis often just runs for time. No Garmin and random courses. I’ve known a few people that believe it is time on feet and not distance covered that matters. Believe me I am laughing at myself as I loop the block an extra time to get to “exactly” 11 miles on a run but will that stop me NO. Should this posting stop people from logging their mileage to the 0.01 value, of course not. It was meant to open discussion as to why people log as they do and what that means to their training…
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 11:14:27 am »

Yup, this whole conversation is kind of silly, just for fun.  Doesn't really matter.  Just differences of opinion and to see who has pet peeves.  Kind of like if we had a board on which brand of shoe is best- personal preference.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 11:17:11 am »

Nike is better.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 11:18:47 am »

Do you even own any Nike?  Saucony, Brooks, NB- I have seen you in those.  Nike?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 11:21:06 am »

You are inferior for even typing other brand names. Nike.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 11:59:29 am »

Just tell me if you even own any.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 12:25:19 pm »

nIKE.
James Winzenz

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:41 pm »

Brooks with their BioMoGo  Tongue
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 02:23:15 pm »

LOL
Adam R Wende

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 03:27:23 pm »

How could you guys ignore Puma!
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 03:55:02 pm »

My favorite pair of shoes were Etonic.  I put about 689.00128936475 miles on them, which is about 689 miles!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 03:58:07 pm »

James, that was a very un-Nike thing to say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: