Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 02:24:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sore Quads.  (Read 6973 times)
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« on: June 23, 2008, 10:52:45 am »

What would be the best therapeutic methods for helping speed up the recovery of my quads from running downhill legs in the Wasatch Back?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:55:09 am »

Rest, active recovery, cross training, massage, and ibprofin...
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:57:16 am »

Is there any good vitamins or foods I can eat that will help?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:08:33 am »

Ice bath, once a day for the next few days. Fill your tub with cold water (so that it covers your legs), get in, and start adding ice. That way, you will adjust slowly as the ice makes the water colder. I've found that adding ice, and then getting in is unbearable.

This is also my Alta Peruvian Downhill Dash cure.

In terms of nutrition, try to drink plenty of water. Dehydration will make things worse.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:11:15 am by Paul Petersen » Logged
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:41:57 am »

Take a rolling pin to them a roll them out as hard as you can stand.  Do this daily until the soreness is gone.  Along with the other suggestions.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:46:52 am »

Man, Josse, I tried the rolling pin yesterday and couldn't stand it- too painful!
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:19:07 pm »

Have a roommate/spouse/training partner do the rolling pin.  I did this on Paul after the 10 mile downhill race we did last week.

Ice baths are crucial:  I guess I am stronger than Paul because I put in the ice then put myself in Smiley

I would also suggest an easy recovery run even if you feel way sore.  If you can't stand to run much, then take a couple of walks today, and do two short two-a-days tomorrow. 
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:20:12 pm »

Have a roommate/spouse/training partner do the rolling pin.  I did this on Paul after the 10 mile downhill race we did last week.

Ice baths are crucial:  I guess I am stronger than Paul because I put in the ice then put myself in Smiley

I would also suggest an easy recovery run even if you feel way sore.  If you can't stand to run much, then take a couple of walks today, and do two short two-a-days tomorrow. 

Ok, sorry, not the same Paul's!  The rolling pin was my spouse, the ice jab was to Paul Petersen.  Sorry for the  confusing post!
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:28:28 pm »

It's not really a fair comparison. There are anatomical differences that make ice baths more painful for men.
jtshad

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 01:00:07 pm »

I tried the Stick and it was painful but helped.  I am sore enough that I might try the ice bath myself tonight.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:55 pm »

Wow. These are all great suggestions. My quads are feeling better just from me reading them.
Josse

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »

Man, Josse, I tried the rolling pin yesterday and couldn't stand it- too painful!
You baby!  No pain no gain, right.  Jeff is more of a man than you Tongue
jtshad

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 02:23:21 pm »

You baby!  No pain no gain, right.  Jeff is more of a man than you Tongue
Here that Jon! So what if you beat me at WBR...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:25:06 pm by jtshad » Logged
John Murray
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 03:51:06 pm »

My question is whether soreness (which I assume is caused mainly by lactic acid buildup) gets less pronounced as your weekly mileage goes up?

I am running 20-35 miles per week.  When I did my long run (18 miles) last Saturday, my legs were screaming.  They were fine by Monday, but I knew that I would not be able to do TOU marathon with legs in that much pain at mile 18.  Does the distance pain subside with more distance?  Or should I start walking every mile like Galloway suggests?

Thanks,

John
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 04:53:13 pm »

John:

After a long period of consistent training the muscles become more and more damage-tolerant. When I was high school it took as little as a hard 10 mile run to get my legs sore. Now they are hardly ever sore. Only some major impact workout or race can get them there, and I mean major. They are not sore after St. George, I can still run to the stake center in the evening at 6:00 pace when I am late for the Priesthood Session of the General Conference.

I do not see how lactic acid could cause the soreness in a long run. If you run that long, you would have to run aerobically, so not much lactic acid would be produced. More likely it is the muscle damage from pounding for a long period of time.

For everybody's benefit - (I put this at the top of every blog page for a reason), a quote from

http://asksasha.com/Running/Top-10-Training-Mistakes.html

:
Running longer in the long run than you have the fitness for. A long run as a rule should not exceed 3 times your regular daily mileage. Otherwise, the long run will likely beat you up beyond your ability to recover, and you will be wondering why you hit the wall so soon even though you've gone 20+ miles in the long run on a number of occasions. Increase your daily mileage before you increase your long run. If you can feel the effects of your Saturday long run Monday morning, you have gone too long.

Your average daily mileage (excluding the long run) has been around 4 miles. This allows you to go no more than 12 according to the above rule which is a very generous upper limit rule. In other words, do not feel like you have to get to 3 x daily mileage in the long run, this would give a 10 miles a day guy a long run of 30 miles! What I would recommend is keeping your long run at 10-12 miles, but training your body to run at least 6 miles every day at first. Keep the pace slow. No need to run hard or do frequent time trials. Be patient, develop your aerobic capacity and injury resistance first. Nothing wrong with 10:00 pace. Run as slow as you have to to comfortably cover the distance.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: