Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 12:45:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed for @#* IT Band!  (Read 4816 times)
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« on: September 22, 2008, 01:29:23 pm »

OK, Here we are 12 days from the marathon.   For those of you who don't know me, I started running last year around this time.  I had tried a few times for about 6 months each in 1999 and 2005.  The first time I stopped running because I found out I was pregnant.  (I wasn't smart enough to continue through the pregnancy.)  The second time my left IT band took me out.  I didn't know how to train, prevent or heal injuries, so I just stopped running again. 

This time I had a much better plan, a husband who had already made all the mistakes I could learn from and a great support group through the FRB.   I have been very consistent in my training and have done very well  until I started trying to hit the 18-20 milers.  My first 18 miler went well with no problem.  My first 20 miler gave me a warning signal at about 18 miles but held off real pain until right at the end of the run.  Two weeks ago I was going for my first 22 miler.  Warning signs came at about 16 miles and I had to stop running a little over 18.  This past Saturday I ran the last 14.25 of the marathon and was fine.  A warning sign came around 11 - 12 miles in but I slowed it down and did fine.  This morning I went out for 4 measly miles and had to walk the last .8! 

I do the whole RICE thing as much as possible.  I have tried a band to help while running.  I've been, (and continue to do so), paying bucks for sports massage to help lengthen the IT band.  I've picked up new shoes.  But I am feeling at this point the the thing I need most is REST for the IT band.  I feel that no running until the actual race is what is best for me.  I want to know what others think about that choice.  I feel like if I keep running on it I am going to have to drop out of the race somewhere between 16-22.  If I rest I feel like I may have a better chance of crossing the finish line.  (Even if I have to cross it much later than I have been anticipating.) 

I want to cross that finish line!  Any advice would be appreciated! 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:38:30 pm »

Run to the extent that your IT band will permit, cross-train for the balance of energy. Back out of St. George, and run a different marathon when the IT band fully heals. There are plenty of options. Contrary to the popular hype in Utah there are other worthwhile marathons throughout the year beside St. George. To run a marathon with a weak body part is like to drive 1000 miles with loose lug nuts. Since all you want to do is just to run a marathon and BQ, there is no special reason to have to do in in St. George (other than a faster course, but it will not be faster if your wheels are falling off). Not worth the risk.

If you cannot wait until Utah Valley/Ogden/Salt Lake, some  non-Sunday marathons options later in the fall or early winter off the top of my head:

Richmond, VA
Valley of Fire
Atlanta, GA (on Thanksgiving)
Springfield, MO
St. Jude in Memphis, TN
Rocket City in Huntsville, AL
Death Valley
Myrtle Beach, SC

Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:50:06 am »

A couple things, Kim. I too had some issues going on just before my marathon. My ankle went wonky on me 8 days out in the middle of a run. I immediately stopped running (had my wife come pick me up). I did 0 running the rest of the week. I think I ran 3 miles Friday and 4 miles Saturday, just to test it. I was able to go out and hit my goal time with no problem whatsoever. However, within 5 weeks after the marathon I had the whole possible stress fracture/joint inflamation/plantars fasceitis (sp?) thing kick up which took me completely down for 6 weeks, followed by 3-4 weeks of the plantar bit. All in all, my marathon was in early April and it wasn't until early July that I was really able to fully get back into my training again .... and at that point I was forced to cut my mileage in half and begin to build back up again to where I was. Its now the end of September and I'm almost back to where I was. Was it the marathon that did it? I don't know. My gut tells me it was jumping from 4 days and 40 mpw to 6 days and 70 mpw in a very short period of time (2-3 week transition). My moral to that story is to remember we are in this for the long haul. I agree with Sasha. If you can't do SGM don't. There are plenty of other marathons. And plenty of fast one's too. Rest, back off. See a Dr. Remember why it is you run and then ask yourself if you'd give that up for possibly months and months all for SGM. Honestly, I would have done it the same way all over again no matter what people said to me, but knowing what I know now .... I would have spent those 8 days off searching for a Fall marathon and bagged the spring marathon altogether.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 11:57:59 am »

Foam roller:
http://www.performbetter.com/SearchResult.aspx_Q_CategoryID_E_235

This works like a charm.  They are cheap and almost everyone I have ever known with ITBS has used them with success. 

The exercise sheet is pretty funny ...
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf

Good LUCK!!!!
James Winzenz

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:04:53 pm »

You have said you are doing RICE and seeing a massage therapist, but what kind of exercises are you doing on your own to help out with your IT band?  Are you stretching it out regularly on your own?  Here are a couple stretches I do when I start to feel any tightness:

Stretch #1
1.Place the leg you want to stretch (the one with knee pain) behind the other leg.
2.Lean to the pain-free side until a stretch is felt over outside of hip on the side with knee pain.
3.For example, for right knee pain place the right leg behind the left leg and lean (from the waist) gently to the left side.

Stretch #2
1.  Lay on your back on the floor or on a bed
2.  Bring your affected leg towards your chest, bending the knee - upper leg should be about perpendicular to the ground
3.  Grab behind the knee of the affected leg and bring it across your body towards your opposite shoulder

Stretch #3
1)Sit with your legs out in front of you
2)Bend your knee and place the leg of the involved leg across your opposite leg placing your foot flat on the floor
3)Rotate your body to look over the shoulder on the involved side until a stretch is felt

I have personally performed all of these stretches and they have absolutely helped me (I like the second one the most - I can really feel the stretch with that one).  If you have not been stretching on your own, I think going to a massage therapist to get the IT band stretched, but not stretching it out on your own is the same as me going to a chiropractor to get my back adjusted while not doing any exercises on my own to help maintain my back's proper position.  It is a temporary fix that does not address the root cause.  You may very well have some muscular imbalances or tighness that is causing the IT band to get tight.  If you already employ a stretching routine that includes good stretching of your IT band, never mind this post.  If you don't stretch, Do it!  Sasha is practically the only person I know who can run without stretching and never get injured.  BTW, I also second Bonnie's suggestion of the foam roller, or you could also try scraping it.  I will also second what Sasha and Jeff have said - if it is not right, don't make it worse by running SGM.  There will be other opportunities if you can't do SGM right now, and other SGM's.  Ultimately, you know your body best and you know whether you will injure yourself further by running the marathon or if you think you can recuperate quickly enough.  Sorry for the big post . . .
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:26:24 pm »

I thank everyone who has given me advice on this forum, on my personal blog, in person and by phone!  You have all given me things to think about!

I think James and Brent probably hit me with some of the best info for me.  I have to admit, I have never been much of a stretcher.  I have always thought that if my muscles aren't sore I don't need to worry about that.  I am lucky enough to not be really sore after any of my runs.  However, I realize now that stretching isn't just to prevent sore muscles.  I am going to really put into practice the stretches both of you have given me. 

Thanks also to Josse who had me come to her house for a major scraping and massage! 

My plan right now is to incorporate the stretches, RICE, and possibly go into Josse one more time early next week.  I will ride a bike until Monday when I will evaluate if I should do a very easy practice run.  If it goes well I will try another very easy run on Wednesday.  I WILL be at the starting line of SGM!  However, I WILL also take myself out without shame at any point I feel I should along the route.  I really hope to be able to cross that finish line, but if for some reason I can't I will try with all my might to find the silver lining in yet another storm cloud that inevitably comes in life!  One thing I know for sure...I WILL have tears that day!  They may be because I crossed the finish line or they may be because I didn't cross the finish line.  Either way, Tom, be prepared for some major tears from the wife!

Thanks again to all of you! 
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »

When you do feel like running, a treadmill (yeah I said treadmill) can be very helpful in recovery because the moment you begin to feel IT band discomfort, you can step off.  I know from experience that while I was dealing with IT band issues, this helped me many from just "finishing" runs which I should not have.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:35:02 pm »

One thing I know for sure...I WILL have tears that day!  They may be because I crossed the finish line or they may be because I didn't cross the finish line.  Either way, Tom, be prepared for some major tears from the wife!

LOL! That rules for you Tom!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: