Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 05:59:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerobic Base - Limited Running  (Read 2813 times)
Brent Barney
Lurker

« on: June 01, 2008, 09:28:22 pm »

I have read many discussions on aerobic base, 1 to 3 minutes slower than marathon pace for an easy run.  Likely, I will only be able to run 1 or 2 times a week when I return to running next month.  Suggestions on keeping the aerobic base for running when only running 1 or 2 times a week.  *Note, I have no limit on cross-training for aerobic base.  My situation on running only 1 or 2 days a week will likely not change.  I would like to get the most bang out of my running miles and cross-training effort.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:00:17 am »

Brent I think I too am in the same boat as you. It seems that my achilles can only take so many runs before it gives out. I myself was considering just doing slow aerobic base running 2 times a week and hopefully getting 1 "longish" run in a week but using Galloways run 4 minutes, walk 30 seconds suggestion? I don't know. It's just frustrating, and I know that I too want to be able to continue to train so that if and when I do heal I can start running right away you know?
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:40:16 am »

When I was injured last year and also coming back from surgery I crosstrained like a mad woman.  I put in the same amount of time and effort I would as if I were running.  A typical workout would consist of 30-40 mins of spin bike with standing intervals with max resistance.  Someone told me that standing on the bike stregthens the running muscles.  Then I would do 30-50 mins on the elliptical machine.  I would warmup for about 5 min. going forward then I would start into going backward for a certain time (usually 5,4,3,2,1 mins) and then forward for the same amount of time.  This would make the time go by quickly and give both my back side and my fornt side a good workout.  I would also pool run and lap swim as well as weights and lots of stretching. 
Brent I think you are already on a good path to keeping a good aerobic base just keep it up. 
Benn I think your limited time schedule has you to just biking but that is good as well, keep it up as well.
I really feel when I returned back to running it wasn't as hard as if I weren't doing anything at all.  I am only 6 month post op and look what I am running.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: