Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 04:08:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: RITZ!!!!!!!! 12:56.27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8028 times)
Bonnie
Posting Member

« on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:24 pm »

Maybe a 2:06 is finally within reach!! 

American Record!
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:18:46 pm »

You can watch the meet on demand at universalsports.com  Also Anna Willard went under 4:00 in the 1500m.

Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:30:56 pm »

I FINALLY got home from work and had the chance to watch the race.  It was awesome.  To see him running in last place for so many laps to running a 2:00:06 final 800m was amazing.  You can watch the entire meet here - http://bit.ly/VSaqQ 

Ritz's race is around the 2 hr 6 min mark.  Also a women's pole  vault world record was set.  And Anna Willard went sub 4 in the 1500m.

This sight requires Microsoft Silverlight.  If you do not have it you can run a Windows Update and install it from there.

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:40 am »

Flippin' amazing.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

Incredible race!!

It's interesting how much of a change we have seen in him in the short time he has been training with Salazar's group. Salazar believes Ritz still has tons of untapped potential.

Hopefully even greater things to come!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 11:55:29 am »

Congrats to him.  I ran against him in college at Colorado and have been rooting for him- I've wondered why America has had such a fascination with Ryan Hall but kind of ignored Ritz.  Hopefully he gets more attention after this.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:49:59 pm »

Up until this year, Hall had accomplished more that Ritz. That has changed. Ritz seems to have so much more upside at this point. His range from 5K to Marathon is amazing.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 02:51:39 pm »

YES! I love Ritz!  2:06, though... I don't know.  He said the reason he switched to Salazar was to come back to the 5and10K focus.  Looks like it is working!  And who knows where that will take him.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:49:49 pm »

Hayden would disagree about the Hall vs. Ritz thing.

But seriously that is sick. How sweet would it be to say you ran a 12 something...
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »

Hayden would disagree about the Hall vs. Ritz thing.

Hey, Hall is great...but what's he done for me recently? That Ritz is so hot right now...
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 05:26:58 pm »

I think Hall has received more attention for a few reasons that may seem silly but in my opinion are real. Hall has an easier name to pronounce and remember. He has a cool story (about how he ran 15 miles home after b-ball practice and fell in love with running). He's from a unique home town. He went to Stanford, which most people hold in very high regard. He won the Olympic Trials Marathon. He ran under an hour in a half marathon, which is a magical thing to have done. During the Olympic Marathon, the announcers talked about him and didn't seem to know anything about Ritz (even though Ritz finished ahead of Hall). Hall chose to run Boston, which is the ultimate American marathon, so it captured people's attention. And he seems more charismatic with the media from what I can tell.

I've been following Ritz's blog for the past month or two, and I have started to become a bigger fan of his since then. In fact, I have to brag that I posted a comment before his race suggesting he might break the AR in the 5000m. Lucky guess. Smiley http://dathanritzenhein.competitor.com/ (see third comment down)

Alberto Salazar (Ritz's new coach) believes that to be a great marathoner, you first have to be great at running 5K's and 10K's. He wants Ritz to be a 13/27 guy and then will be able to blow away a marathon. So this is a great first step.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 06:46:02 pm »

Awesome Job. Since I'm from Colorado I've enjoyed following the careers of some of the those guys that went to CU.  I think Ritz is a great guy and it is really exciting to see him run that fast.  What needs to happen is for the media to take stories like Ritz's had make it more of a big deal.  I really don't care about the name in the story I just want more exposure to our sport.  I'll read about Hall, Ritz, Webb whoever just give me more running stories.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 01:51:34 pm »

Jon:

Because Ritz up to now had not run any super-hot times, while Hall has done quite a bit. Hall was the first and only American to go under 60 minutes in the half, and he's run 2:06. Hall also made his way into top 3 in Boston, something no American has done in a long while. He also beat Ritz in the Trials by 2 minutes. With an East African quality 5000 on Ritz's part it is going to change.

We must not get too excited about Salazar's contribution, though. There is no way anything Salazar did would have physically taken Ritz to a significantly higher level in that short of a time. As far as the physical aspect is concerned, we should give the credit to whatever he did under Brad Hudson. If Salazar did anything it was to help Ritz believe he was indeed that fit.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 05:35:17 pm »

Ritz taking a page from the Rocky 4 script.  Headed to his own "Siberia" to train for the World Half Championships.
http://dathanritzenhein.competitor.com/

allie
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 08:47:51 am »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2009-10-08-datzenhein-notes_N.htm

think he can break 1:00 in the half???
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: