Fast Running Blog
May 06, 2024, 03:01:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: FRB Summer Running Camp  (Read 37153 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 02:09:46 pm »

Tentatively pencil a room in for us as well. Since I'll have a 7+ month pregnant wife with me, I doubt we'll want to sleep in a tent, especially if we can get a good deal. :-)

For us, coming down Friday the 4th after a SLC/Provo race and leaving on Wednesday or so the next week would probably work best. The 4th for us is a paid holiday, and that way we wouldn't have to miss more than a few days of work. Missing a whole week is pushing it, but that's just us. We'll be spending most of our vacation days in Michigan in May, so using a paid holiday would be nice financially.

Is anyone else interested in coming down on the 4th?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 02:43:50 pm »

Clyde - one more thing: does the motel allow pets? We might want to bring Gil.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 04:05:48 pm »

Paul like I said we will be going up for the 4th weekend. Torrey's little celebration would be on the 5th actually so that will be fun. As far as bringing Gil...plan on it. They don't let you bring pets in the room but there will be plenty of place's to let him play. We will be bringing our two hunting dogs Izzy and Zoe. My aunt and uncle who own the hotel also have their home built just on the west side of the motel and they have a one year old playful lab. If you have a tie-up rope we can just tie him up outside. The weather in the summer in Torrey is the best. Never really hot at all.
Superfly

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 04:19:48 pm »

Here are a few links to see a few pictures of Torrey. The very first one is the motel site. The Boulder View Inn.

www.boulderviewinn.com   

www.wildnatureimages.com/Capitol_Reef_National_Park_Photos.htm

www.untraveledroad.com/Tour/USA/Utah/Wayne/Torrey?w=7W

www.flickr.com/photos/carlberger/802888614/in/set-72157601192833100/

If you look through the third link it's kind of a virtual tour of the town.
The the forth link is just someone's pictures on Flickr and if you look through that whole album they have some good one's.

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 05:13:57 pm »

Paul- there is a large degree of irony that you would consider bringing Gil to a running camp!
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 06:25:54 pm »

Bethany and I thought it sounded like fun, so count us in.  We need to figure out how many days we could be there as it is unlikely that we could spend the week there, but we will do what we can.  I will firm up how many days and decide on whether or not to spring for a room.  I have a feeling that we will scare away all the other guests with 30 people running around.  I fear for your Uncle.  Does he know what he is getting into? 
Jon, tell marci that Beth and the kids would come.  Jaxon can babysit...  Seriously, though Beth was hoping some girls come so she can get runs in as well.  Sounds like a blast!
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27:13 pm »

I definitely want to recruit some girls for this running camp! We can go at different times than the guys in case anyone brings kids that need to be watched. We could do our own runs, so plan on it! It will be lots of fun! We can even have a pregnant category for Stacy and Marci and whoever else might fit Smiley 1 mile walks??? Smiley
BTW, there are only 12 rooms in this motel, so once you are for real, let us know so we can officially reserve it in your name. They do sell out pretty much all summer, so we'll have to get them reserved pretty soon. If you don't want or get a room, there is always the grass for tents!
Michelle
Lurker

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 12:12:52 am »

I could definalty come, I don't know that I am capapble of that kinda mileage... are you going to have a group of non-over achievers?  I could just stay in Lyman or somewhere so I don't need to reserve a room, so I'll just wait and see what you put together but it sounds fun! 
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 11:48:11 am »

Michelle- Obviously I won't be doing crazy mileage either! We will put together our own less crazy runs!
wildbull
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 03:45:09 pm »

We could have a Masters group as well.   do you offer any senior discount rates?   AARP members!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 04:01:37 pm »

Some thoughts on this. I hope everybody understands that the camp is a plus from the social and possibly business perspective, it is a minus from the training perspective, for a number of reasons. Higher altitude is actually a minus. Especially if you are going there with the mindset that you are going to run some crazy mileage. I would say that even trying to maintain your regular mileage would not be advisable. To minimize the damage (note the wording), I would recommend to cut the mileage to about 70-80% of the normal if through a turn of misfortune you were stranded at some elevation that is significantly higher than where you live for a week. And do not even think of doing it fast - ease off to more than what you think you should. The nervous system is still tuned for the elevation you live at, so it will attempt to drive your body at a higher intensity.

In general, altitude training is something that you could possibly get marginal benefits from if you have the luxury of moving around in a very particular way for months. Otherwise, it is a minus.

Another minus is the stress of travel to and back from the camp, plus the stress of living away from home. I am yet to see a runner that ever got faster while he was on vacation.

I estimate that  for the FRB team the cost of doing the camp this way is running about 3-5 seconds per mile slower in every race for a month afterwards. The big question is if the social, educational, and business benefits justify it.

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »

Anyone want to post a motivational, inspirational script for how to spring this on our spouses? 

I wouldn't think we would want people split into groups by sex, but by desired mileage and pace.  I would love to come but will have to see.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »

Anyone want to post a motivational, inspirational script for how to spring this on our spouses? 

Sure. Here's my script.

Paul: Hey wifey, wanna skip work and go to Fast Running Blog camp in Torrey in July?
Wifey: I don't have to run, do I?
Paul: No.
Wifey: Sounds good.
jtshad

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 04:30:44 pm »

Here is my script:

Me: Hey wifey, wanna  go to Fast Running Blog camp in Torrey in July?
Her:  Are you crazy?  With all we have going on this summer...you want to go on ANOTHER running trip?
Me:  Hey, hey...just kidding!

:-)  Actually, she is really supportive of my running, but we have so much already packed into July there is no way I could make this event, as fun as it sounds with the "crazy mileage gang".
Superfly

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 05:49:05 pm »

Sasha, nice try buddy but your logic doesn't hold up here. I spent the week before the STGM this last year in Torrey on a non-stop schedule of running, hunting, manual labor, running... and I know the hard work at the altitude improved my time by likely 1-2 min's from what it would have been had I not gone and just stayed home on a regular training schedule. I'm fully certain that if people keep training all summer that they could go into the week in Torrey and do a PR mileage week and just be fine. I guess time will tell. I'm using that week in July as a big push in my training to be ready for Des News. We'll see how things boil out there?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: