Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 09:30:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get from 30mpw to 60mpw?  (Read 5548 times)
Jeffrey Lindy
Lurker

« on: November 14, 2010, 11:41:24 am »

After a cookie-cutter book regimen to train for a mile, I've discovered I have a terrible aerobic base that I need to improve on.

My training has always been haphazard, and essentially never gotten beyond 30 mpw. My goal is to move as expeditiously as I can to 60mpw, with one TT tempo, one long interval, and one long run weekly.

What is the best way to do this? I feel I need to ask in a forum like this... any information I've been able to find about "starting a running program" is geared towards moving from complete couch-potato status to a first 5k, which is not really my situation. My best estimate is that I'm in something like 17:30 5k shape at the moment (I ran a 17:40 race last year, and feel a bit more fit).

Do I need to run a full month at 30 mpw, then a month at 40 mpw, and so on? Should I ditch quality (no tempo, no long intervals) and just run the same number of easy miles each day, only adding the tempo and intervals when I get to, say, 50mpw?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:04:12 pm by Jeffrey Lindy » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »

Increasing your aerobic base is definitely a good idea.  As for how you do it- slowly.  You are doubling your mileage.  If you do 30 mpw for a month, I would jump to no more than 35-37 for the next month.  Then 42-44 for the second month, etc.  Or, you don't have to do "exactly" 30 mpw- do 30 one week, then 33, 36, 36, then 40.  And do some occasional low-mileage recovery weeks, too.  Something like that, rather than a drastic 10 mpw jump.  And I would do minimal speedwork (other than maybe a few moderate workouts) as long as you are really increasing mileage.  Don't want to overstress your body.  Good luck! 

Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:54:45 pm »

I'll second Jon.  In my experience, I usually don't exceed about a 5 mile increase from one week to the next when I'm in buildup mode, and I've found that I naturally tend to take rest weeks every 4-6 weeks (dropping down to about 1/2-2/3 of my highest previous week).  It seems to have worked nicely since I managed an injury-free buildup.  I think the key has less to do with sticking to some sort of schedule and more with learning how to push the envelope while still listening to your body and knowing when you need to back off.  5 miles a week buildup worked for me, but someone else may be able to handle less or more depending on previous fitness levels and other factors.  For you I'd probably recommend less, at least at first.  Also as Jon mentioned, until you have at least somewhat of a base built, it is probably counterproductive to do any really hot and heavy "speed" work.  Some moderate workouts won't hurt, but the important thing is to build mileage to an optimum level before switching your focus to pace.
Jeffrey Lindy
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »

OK, good advice. I'll try to add 2-5 miles per week, and instead of two BW (tempo and 6x1k) I'll just do a progressive tempo and really not do a long run. I'll think about adding back the long run and BW when I plateau in mileage by the end of the winter.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:38 pm »

Jeff- You might want to keep the long run, at least every other week or so.  For one thing, it makes it easier to get your higher mileage... but make sure you keep it relatively easy. 
Jeffrey Lindy
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

Great. I really do enjoy the long run.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »

You can add mileage by doing doubles. Keeping your workouts the same but add a couple of 3 mile runs.

Obviously don't increase too fast. Here is my number 1 rule for training: Your workouts should reflect your current fitness more than your goal fitness. That means that you should increase your mileage slowly, but you should also pay attention to how you feel. Maybe you will not feel good if you go above 45. However, you might be surprised how much that boost will do for you.

Another thing that's important is to constantly change your training. I don't just run 90 miles per week. I'll throw in some high weeks and low weeks and I'll adjust the intensity of my workouts to reflect those changes.

Sample progression:35-35-35-40-32-37-37-37-45-38-42-42-48-40-45-45-48-40-35-20(peak race)-10-20-38-42-40-40-50-43-47...etc
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 07:22:32 pm »

Yeah, when base building I'd do the long run almost every time, given the choice between that and a tempo (depending on what you call a tempo...for me it means something between 10k pace on the fast end and pace that would be a challenge for me to hold for 3 hours on the slow end).  Once in awhile is good for tempo runs, and you should change your pace up regularly anyway, but in most cases I'd say save the hard stuff for when you want quality targeted workouts once you have an aerobic base.  Of course this is all dependent on what you're training for...this is coming from someone who really likes marathon distance or greater. 
Jeffrey Lindy
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:27:23 am »

This week the plan is to do six days of about 4 miles (a nice steady 3% hill lasting 1km making up the middle portion), then a long run on the weekend of about 8 miles. The heartrate is about 140BPM, the total mileage is 6x4 + 8 = 24 + 8 = 32.

Maybe next week the daily run goes to 5 miles, for 38 miles total. Week three maybe the long run goes up to 10 miles, for 40 miles.

Slow and steady. I'm trying to get it through my thick head that just because I can run the same 5k as another guy in my running club, it doesn't mean my body is ready to train 60 mpw like he does.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »

Jeff, don't over emphasize the long run. Right now you are doing 33% of your mileage in your long run, which is a bit much (should be 20-30%). Unless you are specifically training for a marathon or half, the "long run" is not that important.

If you want to do a 35 mile week I would suggest something like this:

3am, 4pm (faster stuff pm)
3am,3pm
2,4pm(faster stuff pm)
Jeffrey Lindy
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:31 am »

Thanks for the advice James. I'm not training "for" anything specific... I did a (somewhat cookie-cutter and ill-advised) speed program aimed at a track mile in October, as a change of pace off a trail ultra (which I trained very foolishly for, putting 80% of my weekly work in a long run that reached up to 25mi or so). Ultimately I think my strength as a runner will be races 10k or longer. The best running results I've ever had have been a 2:58 marathon and a 1:56 18-mile race, so I think those (and my 5:09 mile in October) point to me having more success if I concentrate on longer races.

Life responsibilities prevent me from doing dependable doubles just now, but I'll work in a 3 mile morning shakeout when I can. I know my long run has in the recent past been a bit too large a portion of my weekly mileage; this week is going to be 8 miles out of 32 (4mi on the six non-long days), so it's only 25%.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:42:13 am by Jeffrey Lindy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: