Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 11:53:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Half This Spring for the FRB Chicas  (Read 11307 times)
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 01:55:39 pm »

Ok, I was somehow thinking of the Striders 30K course. Paul is correct it is actually a pretty good course. In fact you can review it at the link below. So not a bad course and a nice place to vacation as well. Not as fast as some of the other super down hill courses in Utah but it won't beat your legs up as bad either.

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=114603
Michelle
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 02:12:05 pm »

Well, I think SLC or Striders sound good to me also.  I'm good to just go with what everyone else wants to do.  Is there limitted entry to either?  I'd hate to be in the same situation as we are in now with Moab.  So if one or the other is a garenteed entry that would be nice! ( Some strong willed person with a strong opinion just step and say this is what were going to do.)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 02:47:23 pm »

Ok, I was somehow thinking of the Striders 30K course.

Yeah, 30K course = not that fast. Probably the definition of "honest", with all of the gradual uphill segments.

Regarding picking between the Striders Half vs. the Salt Lake City Half, I have heard nothing but bad about the SLC event and how Devine Racing manages it. In comparison, the Striders Half has a very grass-roots feel to it, Striders does a good job with the management, and Runner Card does an excellent job with the timing.  You won't get any rock 'n' roll bands, but they do have a low entry fee, a very laid-back finish line, and a grassy area to sit around and talk afterward.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 03:26:47 pm »

I love the striders 1/2 marathon for the same resaons mentioned my Paul.  But it can be very cold, last year my feet were frozen at the start and hurt the fist couple of miles.
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 05:06:45 pm »

Well guess what?!?  I get to do the Painter's Half Marathon this year!  I fell victim to one of the classic blunders...the most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, BUT only slightly less well known is this:  NEVER go in against a Pachev when death or running your booty off in freezing weather is on the line!!!  Good job Sasha!  He broke his record for most time on the piano today.  That is quite gratifying to me as a piano teacher.  So I am excited to be able to go up to St. George and see many of you soon.  But I am planning, and James has agreed, for us to come up AGAIN and do ANOTHER half marathon in the spring time.

Let's do Striders!!!  I have a thing against Divine racing (they do the Salt Lake Marathon).  They don't pay their runners on time.   I'm sure this will teach them.  Wink

MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 08:01:52 pm »

I'm in for Striders. Clyde is planning to do it and so I might as well make it my half for the year. Plus it's only $35 and you can register up to the day before! It sounds like a nice course, although I'm not in to the cold factor. Anyway, this is the race I'm going to plan on. I hope all the FRB girls want in as well!
*What are everyone's thoughts on Painters as a training run?
Michelle
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 09:26:18 pm »

I'm easily convinced to go along with the croud... I think that fun company will make my decision for me and so if the majority is leaning towards Striders so that's what I'll do!  Mik'L I think that Painters as a training run sounds fine, that's all it will be as I haven't really started to pick up my mileage and so I'll just be there for the run!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 08:24:36 am »

My very first 1/2 marathon, without ever thinking marathoning was in my future was the Strider's 1/2.  It was a great experience, and I think it is a great course for a first time 1/2 marathoner.  I would say be sure to bring warm clothes for the start.  I wish I could do it with you all.  Feb-April is off limits for racing.

On Painter's I am totally pumped to race in January!  I think it depends on your mindset.  For many runners winter is the time to backoff, but since I have to back off in Feb-April Painter's is like my last hurrah.  I have never run it before but have wanted to for years and am very excited to be able to do it this year.  It would be great to have a blogger get together then. . .
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 11:18:07 pm »

MichelleL!  I'm so glad you will be running Painters.  I'll see you there!
Brent Barney
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 07:03:23 pm »

Props to Paul on his comments, we ran the striders half last year.  Course is easier than Moab.  The challenge, my opinion, is from about mile 6 thru 9 have some rolling hills that can knock your legs out.  Although the uphills are not steep, they are enough to give you problems if you have not done some hill work.  The finish awards we handed out by Jeff Galloway last year, pretty cool.  I would recommend the striders series, all races, if you are getting ready for the Ogden marathon.  Slyvie runs the Ogden half each year and likes the course, get past the Dam, you have it made to the finish.  B of BS Rools out.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: