Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 11:09:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Half This Spring for the FRB Chicas  (Read 11306 times)
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« on: December 17, 2007, 08:00:59 pm »

Okay.  So several people on the blog who were going to do the half in Moab on March 8th didn't get in.  Now we need a plan B.  There are many races out there--what works for the most people?  That is where I will be, if I possibly can.  I wanna run with you guys.  Long live the blog!

MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:29:51 pm »

Wasn't Ted or somebody going to get a race calendar together? Did anyone ever do that? We need to look at something like that. April 5th is the Striders Half in Ogden...that's all I've found so far around the time we are looking for.
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:59 pm »

I am still putting the finishing touches on the calendar but either way I will give it to Sasha this week to put on the blog and then it can be a work in progress from that point forward. As far as half marathons in Utah goes here is what I have on the calendar for the spring time frame:

Canyonlands 1/2, Moab - 8 March (sorry those that wanted to get in did not)
Striders WRC 1/2, Eden - 5 April (not a fast course)
Salt Lake City 1/2, SLC - 19 April
Hurricane 1/2, Hurricane - 3 May
Golden Spike 1/2, Brigham - 3 May (TBD)
Ogden Marathon 1/2, Ogden - 17 May (great fast course and a lot of bloggers for all races)

I hope this helps.
Michelle
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:01:41 am »

Wondering why the "striders" is not a fast coarse?  Lots of up hill or just flat?  Ogden in May sounds pretty good but would like to do something sooner around March or April too!
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:14:40 am »

Thanks Ted, that does help.  My favorite from that list is Salt Lake City Half.  It'd be easy to fly in, and it's right after my birthday, so I can justify the expense.  I can't do Striders or Ogden because of scheduling and wimpiness (in the case of Striders).
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:25:13 am »

Striders WRC 1/2, Eden - 5 April (not a fast course)

I'll respectfully, but strongly disagree with this one. I've ran this course twice and PR'ed both times. It's definitely faster than Moab (an honest course), but not nearly as fast (or aided) as Hobble or Provo. It is similar in course layout to the Top of Utah Half, but doesn't have the tailwind.

The first half is gentle downhill, and the second half consists of very small rolling hills. The only part I would consider "slow" is the last two miles, which are a subtle incline. But even that isn't bad. It's a USATF Circuit race, so there will be good comp and prize money. The race ends at the Red Moose Lodge, which is probably a pretty nice place to stay for those looking for a getaway. Ogden Valley is beautiful too.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 08:35:17 am »

If you all want a very challenging course, but fun as well, you could consider the Race to Robie Creek in Boise, ID on April 19, 2008.  There is a limit on the number of entries and it is first come, first serve.  8.5 miles uphill, the 4.5 miles down a smoking downhill.  Great food at the end...I ran it last year and it is one of the toughest races I have run.
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:55:02 am »

Blech.  Jeff, you totally are missing the point here.  This is a 1st half marathon ever for some of us, and we need something that is going to give us a false sense of confidence so we can do even stupider things like sign up for a marathon.   I do love Idaho, though.  The food and the company sounds great, too.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 09:27:10 am »

Yeah, we are definitely looking for something "not hard" Wink. I actually like the sound of Paul's description of the Striders Half. Hobblecreek was too fast for me (that may sound weird, but I didn't like how downhill the first part was). Something a little more downillish/flatish sounds good to me (rolling hills is a little worrisome). April 5th is a good day for me too. So at this point, I'm down for Striders or Salt Lake, although I would hate to be one of the annoying half people that get in the way of the marathoners at SL! I'll have to talk to Clyde and see what he wants to do. I'm guessing he'll say Striders because he wants to be able to run with the Logan guys a few times this year and now Moab is out.
Superfly

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:52:02 am »

IMHO and this is just my opinion... I'd pass on the Painters half marathon in a second. I live here in STG and even if I wasn't going to be out of town I'd still pass on it. The main reason. The time of year. It's not a bad  course... mostly flat. But who wants to race a half right in the middle of winter? Any race from March on sounds a lot better than any race in January. I'd say maybe 1 in 10 people feel like racing in January- even if your in shape and have been hitting good miles. It's just hard to want to race until around spring time... even if it's cold then.
Anyways just something to keep in mind if  your all looking for a positive running event.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 10:10:45 am »

I tend to agree with Clyde I've done Painter's twice and I'll be doing it again this year, but I've had trouble both times getting excited about racing and really haven't performed very well either time.  The first year I was just getting into shape and last year I was injured.  The course isn't bad, but it was pretty cold last year.  I enjoyed the first 10 miles of the Ogden Half last year, but wasn't too fond of the finish.
jtshad

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:28 am »

I enjoyed the first 10 miles of the Ogden Half last year, but wasn't too fond of the finish.

I agree with you, those last 3 miles on the pathway and in the heat of the valley floor were not as fun as coming out of the canyon.  Overall though, Ogden is a great race and I know about 6-10 folks from here in IF that are running either the full or half in 2008.  The folks from Idaho are coming down in force.
James Winzenz

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 10:42:50 am »

Well, depending on whether Sasha has completed his part of the challenge (see Lybi's blog for more details), we may be coming up to Utah a couple times this year . . . once for Painter's 1/2 and once for Salt Lake 1/2.  I am running a 1/2 here in the valley on Feb 9, so if we come up for Painter's 1/2, I would just be cheering for Lybi, but would seriously consider running the Salt Lake 1/2 with her if she wanted to do that too (I told her I recommended a couple of 1/2 marathons this year if she really wants to try to run St. George.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:55:57 am »

I am almost there. I was passing it off to Sarah and flubbed on the third note from the end. Taking a brief break now. Will keep trying until success.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:33 pm »

Lybi- you might have made a mistake in challenging Sasha if you didn't intend to run this race.  It probably would have been better to challenge someone who is not as dedicated and who has a full time, away-from-a-piano job.  If you challenged him simply because you wanted to make him a better piano player and had intended to run all along, then good job.  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: