Fast Running Blog
May 13, 2024, 05:22:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Running Gear  (Read 8180 times)
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« on: October 08, 2007, 11:37:30 pm »

I would like to know what others wear with temperature ranging from -2 to 10 degrees outside when running (please include the brand name of clothing).

What works for me:  Under Armour cold gear tights and Under Armour cold gear long sleeve shirt, Under Armour cold gear gloves, a fully covered ski/gator mask.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 07:32:06 am »

From the top down: 
Sport Hill beanie
Long sleeve shirt (sometimes 2)
Fleece Pullover (Usually Nike)
Cotton Gloves (generic)
North Face Mittens
Running shorts (for support)
Nike Running Pants
Socks (usually 2 pair)

There was only one run last year where I was too cold and experienced a little frost bite on my fingers.  I think that the feet and hands need the best coverage because your body will primarily focus on keeping your core warm. 
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Head: Generic/ Old Army PT beanie
Neck: if cold enough one of those fleece neck warmer things

Upper body:
First layer- singlet or some kind of wicking shirt
Second layer- tshirt
Third layer- Long sleeve shirt (I have a duofold one I've been wearing for years that is just awesome)
Forth layer- zip up hoodie (hanes generic brand)/ zip up athletic jackets/ a fleece I got at footlocker a few years ago

Gloves: Dollar store cotton gloves. When colder I usually throw a pair of socks on over those. Never found a good pair of mittens that didn't feel too bulky for me. Sometimes I've used leather work gloves.

Lower body:
First layer-shorts that I would normally run in
Second layer- sweat pants/ track pants/ whatever is comfortable.

Socks- whatever I normally run in. I like to use a pair of running socks as a first layer and then a pair of thicker ones over those.

Shoes- I have a pair of ice spikes that I put on my shoes when it looks slippery out. Best $10.95 I've spent on winter running.

I guess I'm not much help on the brands. I've just used what I could get. Also, I've had my share of frostbite scares, so this probably isn't a good idea to follow unless your willing to take the risks. Smiley
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:16:53 am »

Regular beanie, sometimes with headband underneath for extra ear protection
T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, plus fleece pullover
Stretchy gloves or fleece gloves, depending on temp
Sporthill 3SP pants
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:33:32 am »

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."

- Bill Bowerman

Just something to keep in mind this winter. Those that do not go soft over the winter will come out tough and hardened for the spring racing season!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:40:51 am »

People in Finland say there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes for the weather.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 10:47:54 am »

Everything is generic, I am not a big fan of brand names, when I have to pay I get the cheapest that will do the job, when I do not, I still get the cheapest that will do the job:

double gloves ($4 ones)
double tights (about $20 each)
double long sleeved shirt (from a race usually) + a short sleeved in between
windbreaker jacket
ear muffs
ready-to-rob-the-bank hood over the ear muffs
shorts on top of tights on in between for extra crotch protection
double socks

Multiple layers of regular light clothing do wonders. Particular attention must be paid to protecting the ears, the fingers, the toes, the chest, and the crotch. Everything else will get warm when you are running.

AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 06:14:56 am »

I just remembered that on the really cold days (less than 10 degrees) I stick hand warmers inside of my gloves.  It's the only way that I can keep my hands warm when it is that cold.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

I have some super dense polartec fleece gloves that I have worn in very cold weather (below zero, windy) and been fine.  You may want to look into a pair.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 10:43:19 am »

I have found that the best clothing investment I ever made was a good pair of cloves. I used to run with the cheap cotton cloves, but that usually results in sweaty of cold hands. I found a great pair of gloves with a thin palm side layer and a thick layer on the back of the hand. It also has a has a thin retractable mitten. It keeps me happy at almost any temperature. Forgot the brand name, but it is a number... 660 or 330 or somethin like that.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:58:12 am »

I've never been too cold wearing a double layer of commodity gloves, and I've run in below 0 F  temperatures.
Cameron Clarke
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26:10 am »

Bump.

Sorry to resurrect a dead topic, but I thought some people would find this useful as there is a 50% chance of snow this weekend in Provo.  I'm from Saint George, and it usually doesn't get far below 30 degrees in the dead of winter. 

I'm hoping that my parents will take me to get some running clothes when they come up for the football game on Saturday, so should I go to a running store (The Running Corner or Wasatch Running Center?) or just go to the mall and try to find some warm stuff?
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 12:07:47 pm »

Not that I am a pro on the winter stuff - being from God's True Country - but I find real running stuff to be so much better than just an old sweater or whatever.  My sister-in-law got me a great tech style winter shirt made for layering while skiing and hiking and when I go to SLC or on the coldest of cold St. George days, I just wear it and one shirt over and am perfectly warm.  So anyway... real cold weather gear seems to be a lot better.  It wicks moisture instead of keeping it on you and is a lot lighter.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 12:57:39 pm »

My answer is to buy fleece, fleece, fleece.  Sporting good stores carry this, so that is where I go shopping.  Sports Authority and stuff.  Cheaper than running stores.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 03:04:15 pm »

For the most part I just go on the cheap and throw on stuff from the closet.  Too much stuff?  Then it becomes extra weight and heat training I guess.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: