Fast Running Blog
May 13, 2024, 07:01:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Running  (Read 2822 times)
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« on: October 06, 2010, 12:11:57 am »

So, I have started to take running more seriously this past Spring/Summer and now into fall, but had a question on how to keep the motivation through the winter. I am training for the Rome Marathon in March so I need to be diligent this winter season. I know here in Italy there will be snow and rain. I have some good cold weather and a rain jacket that are good for running, but does anybody have any more advice on keeping yourself warm and dry? Anything special with shoes? I appreciate any advice you got!
Seth
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:59:49 pm »

Hey Colby,

I've trained for the Salt Lake City Full and Half marathons, which are in April, and plan on training thru the winter again for the Salt Lake half again this April, so I'll be out in the cold with you buddy.  I live at 6,000 feet and have found what works best for me is checking weather.com for the following day's forecast to prepare for the conditions I'll be dealing with during my run, and motivation.  You have to believe your training will make you stronger and faster for race day.

I try to do more workouts indoors in the beginning of my training block.  I start to really train in January, so I'll run outside only 4 or 5 runs a week, and do other workouts at the gym.  This will helps me adjust to the cold better.  Then I'll be ready in February to run outside for every run(weather permitting of course, although I have ran thru my fair share of snowstorms).  Also, I run in the morning usually(not sure if that's an option for you) because even though it is the coldest time of day, it is also the mellowest as far as wind, precipitation, etc.  Plus seeing the sun rise is a great way to start the day!

As far as clothes to wear, make sure they are made for cold conditions and layer them!  I also use Aquafor on my face for protection.  Just make sure to wash it off after your run.  On a typical run in single digits I'll wear the following:

Head:  an Under Armour cold gear beanie, or just a warm beanie if my run is kinda short. 

Upper body:  I'll have a long-sleeve base layer top like Under Armour cold gear with a shell over it that is wind and water proof.  I mainly use the Backcountry.com Rime pullover for this.  I like to wear arm warmers too if it's really cold, because it helps my forearms stay warm.  Sounds weird, but you'll see what I'm talking about.  Then some warm gloves.  I have Mountain Hardwear Powerstretch for days above 20 degrees, and Under Armour cold gear gloves for days below 20 degrees. 

Lower body:  I wear Under Armour Cold Gear tights for my legs with regular Haines cotton briefs under them and it seems to work just fine. 

Feet:  I wear a thicker sock the comes up over my ankle, so I can tuck them under my tights.  Don't wear the really low cut socks, your ankles will freeze!  And then I just wear normal running shoes.  If it's snowed a few inches, I just take it really easy.  I've heard of people putting screws in the soles and have seen those wire things, but I like to mess with things as little as possible, so I just slow my pace down.  I mainly do this because I hate treadmills, but if you don't mind them, then that would be a better option in really bad weather.

It will take you some trial and error to find what works best for you, but you'll figure it out.  Also, I got a good deal on Undrer Armour clothes, which is why it's basically everything I own, but there are other company's like Mountain Hardwear and The North Face that make really good stuff too.  I hope this helps and good luck!
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:35:12 am »

Seth,

Wow, I appreciate it. I am from Utah, so I understand the weather there. I just graduate from BYU about a year and half ago and was running pretty extensively with Ted Leblow (if you know him) while he was in charge of the ROTC at BYU. I am pretty sure the weather in Italy (where I am stationed with the Army) is similar in the winter, except we are much closer to sea level. I will definitely be using your advice and appreciate the detail of what you are wearing. Thanks again!
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:59:02 am »

If you can spend any time in a sauna adjusting a bit for humidity it will help too.  Rome doesn't get too much snow, but lots of humidity.  When I would visit my daughter in Naples while they were stationed there, the humidity was the biggest factor. I don't know if the Rome marathon just stays on main roads or goes through any of the scenic areas - if the latter, you might want to throw some trail running in to get your legs ready for cobblestones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: